declining an offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

declining an offer

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:24 pm

Is it appropriate to decline via email or should I call as well? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: declining an offer

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it appropriate to decline via email or should I call as well? Thanks.
I emailed, got really nice email replies. Most people say you should call. If you know the conversation is going to suck, might as well email.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:26 pm

Doesn't really matter. As long as your are polite, courteous, etc. I typically just email when I decline an offer.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:49 pm

I e-mail the partner who extended the offer, graciously thank him for his time, explain how much I enjoyed meeting with everybody at the firm, say that I chose another firm in the end although it was a difficult decision to make, and then send it with the recruiter CC'd.

I was going to call, but it just seemed like it would be really awkward and that a busy partner would prefer an e-mail anyway.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:01 pm

i always called. hiring partners seemed to appreciate it. I say be a man and call. It's awkward sometimes but more courteous than a measly email.

I also sent hand written thank you's to anyone i really made a connection with during callbacks. They all responded very well to these as well, encouraging me to keep in touch. Legal community is always smaller than you think.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:23 pm

tfer2222 wrote:i always called. hiring partners seemed to appreciate it. I say be a man and call. It's awkward sometimes but more courteous than a measly email.
Sometimes being "a man" and being courteous means not putting other people in awkward situations or calling them when they may be really busy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:25 pm

I agree that calling is a waste of their time, and would do nothing but create an awkward situation.

tlstlstls73

New

Post by tlstlstls73 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:28 pm

tfer2222 wrote:i always called. hiring partners seemed to appreciate it. I say be a man and call. It's awkward sometimes but more courteous than a measly email.

I also sent hand written thank you's to anyone i really made a connection with during callbacks. They all responded very well to these as well, encouraging me to keep in touch. Legal community is always smaller than you think.
Your approach is very patriarchal. Gender is burning.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:32 pm

I called recruiting and emailed any attorneys if I particularly hit it off with them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”