Accepting Offers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
d04

New

Accepting Offers

Post by d04 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:02 am

I just got an offer (by phone) for a summer associate position at a big US firm and was wondering what I have to do to formally accept the offer. I go to a non-US law school so my career centre has not been of much help..

tfer2222

Bronze

Re: Accepting Offers

Post by tfer2222 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:17 am

Call whoever extended the offer and accept it verbally. Then maybe shoot them an email confirming your acceptance. Any way works really.

I think the real question is why I'm lurking TLS threads on a Friday night as a 2L. sigh.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:15 am

Is there a contract to be signed at some point ? Or even a formal acceptance received by mail?

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is there a contract to be signed at some point ? Or even a formal acceptance received by mail?
From my knowledge, some firms do and some firms don't. It doesn't really matter as they can fire you whenever they want.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:15 pm

Is it normal to accept verbally? I called the recruiting manager and they said that I did all that I need to do and that I don't need to send any email. But I'm freaking out for some reason.
Is verbal acceptance usually sufficient?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it normal to accept verbally? I called the recruiting manager and they said that I did all that I need to do and that I don't need to send any email. But I'm freaking out for some reason.
I accepted verbally. I don't know why you freak out. Be on the lookout for something confirming your acceptance (something will probably come via e-mail and snail mail). If you don't receive something in a little while, maybe follow up, but I doubt that will be necessary.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:35 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it normal to accept verbally? I called the recruiting manager and they said that I did all that I need to do and that I don't need to send any email. But I'm freaking out for some reason.
I accepted verbally. I don't know why you freak out. Be on the lookout for something confirming your acceptance (something will probably come via e-mail and snail mail). If you don't receive something in a little while, maybe follow up, but I doubt that will be necessary.
I accepted verbally too ( I think everyone does), but I think I understand what you are going through. It seems like something that has been built up as incredibly important should have a more formal or substantial culmination. At least that is how I felt about it. Don't worry, you are done.

If you need a ceremonial act of some kind to get some closure, go make one for yourself. For example, when I got my summer offer I took my (now ex) girlfriend out and when I got my job offer I bought my parents a couple really nice bottles of wine. It doesn't really matter what you do, just try not to do something that throws your offer in your classmate's face.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”