Davis Polk v. Debevoise Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

DPW or Debevoise

DPW
67%
Debevoise
33%

Total votes: 18

Anonymous User

Davis Polk v. Debevoise

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:51 pm

Choosing between these two firms. Am interested in Debevoise's focus on international arbitration, FCPA, etc., but know that DPW may have stronger practice areas across the board. Not really sure what I want to do between corporate/litigation, etc. Liked the people at both pretty equally. Any thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Davis Polk v. Debevoise

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:03 pm

Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:06 pm

With both being equal, especially things like fit, I'd say just go with DPW for more overall strengths (and yes, ever present prestige).

If you really decide that international arbitration, or white collar, are your preferred fields, Debevoise begins to make more sense.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:With both being equal, especially things like fit, I'd say just go with DPW for more overall strengths (and yes, ever present prestige).

If you really decide that international arbitration, or white collar, are your preferred fields, Debevoise begins to make more sense.
Thanks. That's what I'm thinking. Hard to know what I'm really interested in without having done any of the work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:14 pm

The way I see it, you may as well go to the firm that's strongest in what you think you want to do. If you end up not doing int'l arb or white collar, it's not like the other practice areas in Debevoise suck. You're still in a great firm. It would be different if we were talking about a v50 that specializes in int'l arb versus Davis Polk. That would be a different story unless you were 100% sure you wanted that practice area.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The way I see it, you may as well go to the firm that's strongest in what you think you want to do. If you end up not doing int'l arb or white collar, it's not like the other practice areas in Debevoise suck. You're still in a great firm. It would be different if we were talking about a v50 that specializes in int'l arb versus Davis Polk. That would be a different story unless you were 100% sure you wanted that practice area.
This is true too. It's a tough call. I appreciate you taking the time to help out -- and know I'm lucky to have this kind of choice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:19 pm

DPW = elite of the elite
Debevoise = just elite

I would not give whatever preference you think you have for international arbitration any weight. International arbitration is not a huge practice (actually, its quite small), and its not like Deb is known as the best of the best for this anyways. Also, as a 2L, you probably don't really know what you want to do anyways. Assuming you liked both firms equally, then DPW no question. It will stay with you for your whole career and will absolutely open more doors then Deb will. Congrats on the offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DPW = elite of the elite
Debevoise = just elite

I would not give whatever preference you think you have for international arbitration any weight. International arbitration is not a huge practice (actually, its quite small), and its not like Deb is known as the best of the best for this anyways. Also, as a 2L, you probably don't really know what you want to do anyways. Assuming you liked both firms equally, then DPW no question. It will stay with you for your whole career and will absolutely open more doors then Deb will. Congrats on the offers.
Wow that was convincing. Are you already at a firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DPW = elite of the elite
Debevoise = just elite

Agree with all of this. DPW, no question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Wow that was convincing. Are you already at a firm?
Yes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:34 pm

Thanks to you and poster above. Helpful. Didn't realize there was such a difference in how the firms are perceived.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:45 pm

If you're not sure of even lit versus corp, and like them both similarly, I'd go to DPW. Debevoise has some great practices (private equity, insurance, etc), if you know you want them, but if you get to your SA and realize that you, say, really like bankruptcy work, DPW just has a stronger set of practice areas.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you're not sure of even lit versus corp, and like them both similarly, I'd go to DPW. Debevoise has some great practices (private equity, insurance, etc), if you know you want them, but if you get to your SA and realize that you, say, really like bankruptcy work, DPW just has a stronger set of practice areas.
Right, that's what I'm thinking. DPW seems to offer more versatility across the board and it would probably be tough for that decision to be the wrong one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you're not sure of even lit versus corp, and like them both similarly, I'd go to DPW. Debevoise has some great practices (private equity, insurance, etc), if you know you want them, but if you get to your SA and realize that you, say, really like bankruptcy work, DPW just has a stronger set of practice areas.
Right, that's what I'm thinking. DPW seems to offer more versatility across the board and it would probably be tough for that decision to be the wrong one.
To clarify, neither decision will likely be the "wrong one." However, there should be more of a reason for you to choose Debevoise over DPW then for you to select DPW out of ambivalence. This is coming from someone who selected a V20 over a V5 as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”