Cautionary Tale Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cautionary Tale

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:37 am

Hi TLS.

There seems to be a lot of talk on here about T14 schools OCI and what-not, and I wanted to give a different perspective on what the job market is like for non-top 14rs.

My story:

A year ago, had to decide between a T10 school in a city I did not want to be, and a T30 NY school (duh) on basically a full scholarship. Took the T30 for family reasons plus my aversion to debt. Worked pretty hard, finished in the top 20% plus secondary journal. OCI came: 7 interviews, 1 callback, no offers. Honestly, did not feel as if I had a real shot at biglaw, and I have numerous classmates in the same position.

Any questions?

Anonymous User

Re: Cautionary Tale

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi TLS.

There seems to be a lot of talk on here about T14 schools OCI and what-not, and I wanted to give a different perspective on what the job market is like for non-top 14rs.

My story:

A year ago, had to decide between a T10 school in a city I did not want to be, and a T30 NY school (duh) on basically a full scholarship. Took the T30 for family reasons plus my aversion to debt. Worked pretty hard, finished in the top 20% plus secondary journal. OCI came: 7 interviews, 1 callback, no offers. Honestly, did not feel as if I had a real shot at biglaw, and I have numerous classmates in the same position.

Any questions?
Did you mass-mail the shit out of every firm big, medium, and small? Did you call up alums to get their advice and see if they could push along your resume? Did you look beyond NY to secondary markets?

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:40 am

You said you finished in the Top 20%. What was your standing during OCI? Seems like top 20% at Fordham striking out would be part of the few exceptions, and not the rule.

ETA: in all honesty, how well do you think you interviewed?

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:42 am

What percentage of students usually get big law at your school and did you have an WE?

PS: I am sorry to hear about your OCI experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:44 am

Did you mass-mail the shit out of every firm big, medium, and small? Did you call up alums to get their advice and see if they could push along your resume? Did you look beyond NY to secondary markets?[/quote]

Mass-mailed about 80 firms with tailored cover letters. About 40 rejections and 40 silence. Spoke to many alumni and actually do have some informational interviews set up for end of the month so not done yet. Yes, looked at NJ and Connecticut.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:46 am

Well, you will probably end up in the same/better situation than a lot of students at T14. Yeah, you missed out at starting at BigLaw, but so has about 50% of T14 students depending on what T14 school you're at. Many of the T14 students are paying sticker, have no BigLaw jobs (or any jobs), and will end up with $175k+ in debt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:47 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:You said you finished in the Top 20%. What was your standing during OCI? Seems like top 20% at Fordham striking out would be part of the few exceptions, and not the rule.

ETA: in all honesty, how well do you think you interviewed?
Fordham's cut-off is TOP 25% so I was in that percentile but well into it so I would estimate about Top 20%.

I cannot say for sure how I interviewed. Went through all the mock interviews and got good feedback and actually contacted some screening interviewers who claimed that the issue was GPA and not the interview. That may have been because they did not want to give a reasons. Who knows.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Well, you will probably end up in the same/better situation than a lot of students at T14. Yeah, you missed out at starting at BigLaw, but so has about 50% of T14 students depending on what T14 school you're at. Many of the T14 students are paying sticker, have no BigLaw jobs (or any jobs), and will end up with $175k+ in debt.
This is correct. However, I speak for many of my classmates who are in the same boat employment-wise but have taken out the money to pay for school. Striking out at OCI is a terrible feeling and I can see it having an extreme effect on someone who is going to be 200,000 dollars in debt come graduation. And the stories are direct from classmates and not just something I overheard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:51 am

shoeshine wrote:What percentage of students usually get big law at your school and did you have an WE?

PS: I am sorry to hear about your OCI experience.
As is well-known, the percentage of students at Fordham that get biglaw varies from year to year. From 44 percent or so several years ago, to about 15 percent more recently. This year, it seems like law review people are doing extraordinarily well, while below top 15% or so without law review dont have the edge that Fordham portrays itself as giving you.

Had about 2 years of solid, law-related work experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:53 am

Moral of the story is not to go to Fordham for $200k+? I'm not really sure what we're being cautioned against.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:58 am

Helmholtz wrote:Moral of the story is not to go to Fordham for $200k+? I'm not really sure what we're being cautioned against.

Just trying to provide some perspective on what its like outside the T14, as most of the OCI related threads seem to give a lot of info about people from HYS getting multiple V5 offers, which doesn't exactly pertain to the world at large.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:17 am

With no debt, who cares about big law?

I'd wager <10% of people who go to law school aspire to be big law lawyers, and that may be being generous.

Are you really one of those people?

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Moral of the story is not to go to Fordham for $200k+? I'm not really sure what we're being cautioned against.

Just trying to provide some perspective on what its like outside the T14, as most of the OCI related threads seem to give a lot of info about people from HYS getting multiple V5 offers, which doesn't exactly pertain to the world at large.
You must be new here.

I think a lot of ppl around TLS acknowledge how hard it is to get big law even at top schools.

See: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&t=166321, for an example (and also for lulz)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:35 am

Objection wrote:With no debt, who cares about big law?

I'd wager <10% of people who go to law school aspire to be big law lawyers, and that may be being generous.

I think so.

KamaalTheAbstract

Bronze

Post by KamaalTheAbstract » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:13 am

Objection wrote:With no debt, who cares about big law?

Who cares what they aspired to be when they went to law school. Once they get to law school and either discover what biglaw is and how much it pays or realize how much debt they are going to be in >80% then aspire to be big law lawyers. If you think less than 10% of students at any top 50 school are aspiring to be in biglaw you're a wrong.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:21 am

My story:

Any questions?
Were your 7 screeners about the average number for someone of your rank, or do you think your bidding may have shortchanged you any? Someone around top 20% with a secondary at BC would probably have a few more than that. I know someone who meets that criteria at BC that got 10 interviews in NYC through our NYC off-campus program with BU, before counting anything in Boston for on-campus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:33 am

There have been a number of threads that discuss taking the money at a lower ranked school vs full freight at a higher ranked school. This is the first thread, that I am aware of, where the poster is not happy with the decision.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:00 am

IBMTal

RubyDoomsday

Bronze

Post by RubyDoomsday » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:11 am

Look, you KNEW the risks you took when you made that choice, and as others have pointed out there are lots of people at T10s who are striking out at OCI too.

I go to a lower ranked school than you and I know people with 10+ call backs and multiple offers from top firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:20 am

My story:

Any questions?
I don't see why this is a cautionary tale. This should be entitled, "What You Expect to Happen if You Don't Make Law Review at Fordham"

I turned down various scholarship offers at "better" ranked school to go to Fordham, because I knew if I did well it'd give me the best show at big law in NY out of those schools (no t14). BUT, I knew that I needed to make law review to do that. That's no secret. Two years ago 15% of students got jobs out of OCI. Since about 10% of the class is on law review, it doesn't take a statistician to figure out where most of those students are coming from. Not the boldest move, but life is a gamble, I did well, made law review, and now have a v10 SA job lined up.

As for the OP, you need to work on your interview skills/reconsider your bid strategy for 3L OCI. I have four friends in the same exact boat as you, some on pretty low ranked journals, ALL who received big law offers. Not the best firms around, but V75-V100. I have one friend about top 25%, secondary journal who got 15 screeners and 8 cbs. You need to figure out what went wrong for you before providing others with your "cautionary tale."

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:22 am

DR GUANO SAYS, HA HA

...THE MOOSE!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:34 am

A cautionary tale is a perfect title for this thread. The past 2 years, this board has been filled with the "Fordham crusaders" who defend Fordham to the death implying that Top 20% is a LOCK for biglaw. OP is letting them/people considering Fordham at full boat know that's not true.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:43 am

Bronx Bum wrote:A cautionary tale is a perfect title for this thread. The past 2 years, this board has been filled with the "Fordham crusaders" who defend Fordham to the death implying that Top 20% is a LOCK for biglaw. OP is letting them/people considering Fordham at full boat know that's not true.
It is no guarded secret that 15% of students at Fordham the last two years got jobs out of OCI. If people really think Top 20 is a LOCK for big law then they simply aren't doing their homework. To make a $160K investment in something without doing your diligence is simply idiotic.

In the OPs case, however, I know plenty of people in the same boat who fared very well. If you're a bad interviewer to begin with, it doesn't matter where you fall in the class - your options will be limited.

But as I stated before, there is a bidding strategy to Fordham. Four friends with what appear to be identical #s to the OPs, all with big law offers after pulling in between 10-15 screeners. The way they did it? Smart bidding strategies. Not as prestigious firms but firms that had big Fordham connections/historically select from Fordham/big summer classes, etc. You can't sit in the top 20%, non-lr, and expect to be competitive at V50 firms.

Cautionary Tale - be realistic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:46 am

Bronx Bum wrote:A cautionary tale is a perfect title for this thread. The past 2 years, this board has been filled with the "Fordham crusaders" who defend Fordham to the death implying that Top 20% is a LOCK for biglaw. OP is letting them/people considering Fordham at full boat know that's not true.
Fordham is a great school if you are top 10%, on law review. Fordham is a good school if you are top 25%, secondary journal. After that, well, like most schools, Fordham ain't getting you much.

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:49 am

How about we just call it "A tale"?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”