Pre-offer intention to accept Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pre-offer intention to accept

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:30 pm

I am curious if anyone has done this or if it is even a good idea.

I had a CB at my top pick and performed to the best of my interviewing abilities. I am thinking about drafting a formal letter, basically saying that if I am extended and offer I will accept it. On the upside, I think this shows the ultimate level of interest and could be beneficial on their end too (I assume that they wish to close spots up fairly quickly and dislike people sitting on offers). On the downside, this may be construed as desperate. What are everyone's thoughts? During the CB I hinted at this, but I am contemplating emailing the head of the recruiting committee with a PDF of a formal letter outlining this.

Helmholtz

Gold

Re: Pre-offer intention to accept

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am curious if anyone has done this or if it is even a good idea.

I had a CB at my top pick and performed to the best of my interviewing abilities. I am thinking about drafting a formal letter, basically saying that if I am extended and offer I will accept it. On the upside, I think this shows the ultimate level of interest and could be beneficial on their end too (I assume that they wish to close spots up fairly quickly and dislike people sitting on offers). On the downside, this may be construed as desperate. What are everyone's thoughts? During the CB I hinted at this, but I am contemplating emailing the head of the recruiting committee with a PDF of a formal letter outlining this.
Don't do a formal letter. I think that's weird.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:34 pm

I can only imagine the recruiter's perplexed expression upon reading that letter.

theduder

New

Post by theduder » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:37 pm

I would imagine if you want to do this it is best to be informal and simple. Just shoot the recruiter an email thanking him/her for all their help in the process. Let them know how much you enjoyed the callback, how it confirmed your notion that it is your favorite firm, and, if offered, you plan on accepting. I think this will do what you are looking for and not seem weird. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:40 pm

This was what I was after, I dont know why I said formal letter, but just something making it clear that if offered, I am in. Generally, is it a bad idea?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UT1502

New

Post by UT1502 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This was what I was after, I dont know why I said formal letter, but just something making it clear that if offered, I am in. Generally, is it a bad idea?
Some attorneys who came to talk at Law Review orientation said that if a firm is your top choice, and you'll absolutely come if they make you an offer, tell 'em. Of course, they were talking about during the call-back, but still. I did it with my top choice, and I got an offer, so take that for what it's worth.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:45 pm

I called the recruiter at my top choice about a week after my CB and told her that I enjoyed the visit and, after visiting some other firms, it was "at the top of my list" or "a clear top choice" or some other ambiguous language that implied I thought they were the best. Now, it probably helped that they were/are my top choice, but I didn't want to commit to it with incredibly direct language. I ended up with an offer very quickly after the call.

V100 firm, secondary market.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This was what I was after, I dont know why I said formal letter, but just something making it clear that if offered, I am in. Generally, is it a bad idea?
Unfortunately, I don't know how much "if you give me an offer, I'll accept!" will help. Look around the Employment forum for a while and you're sure to stumble across a thread about a law student telling a firm that, only to renege on it as soon as a more attractive offer comes in. It's not like the recruiter says, "oh, we've got him locked in now! he agreed!" I would send something like "the duder" recommended, except I wouldn't say the last part about accepting if an offer is extended. For what it's worth, I drafted a similar letter to my #1 choice firm a few days after my callback. I originally had something in there about accepting an offer were one to be extended, but it just seemed kind of weird and presumptuous, so I deleted that part of the e-mail and then sent it. It said something along the lines of "you were my top choice firm going into OCI, and my CB confirmed and strengthened that interest."

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:46 pm

blurbz wrote:I enjoyed the visit and, after visiting some other firms, it was "at the top of my list" or "a clear top choice" or some other ambiguous language that implied I thought they were the best.
+1

Pretty much exactly what I did.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:48 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
blurbz wrote:I enjoyed the visit and, after visiting some other firms, it was "at the top of my list" or "a clear top choice" or some other ambiguous language that implied I thought they were the best.
+1

Pretty much exactly what I did.
This is also exactly what I did.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”