Second-tier Chicago BigLaw vs. strong midsized firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Second-tier Chicago BigLaw vs. strong midsized firm

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:08 am

Hi all,

Recognizing the fact that there are many factors that can't be accounted for in a post like this, which is preferable, working at a non-Kirkland/Sidley/Mayer/Jenner/Winston Biglaw firm in Chicago, or at a strong regional firm in a secondary market? Is it true that it's easier to make partner in a secondary market?

Thanks!

Cavalier

Gold

Re: Second-tier Chicago BigLaw vs. strong midsized firm

Post by Cavalier » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:40 am

Last edited by Cavalier on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:46 am

First-tier Chicago Biglaw: Kirkland

Second-tier Chicago Biglaw: Everyone else.

KIRKLAND SHATTERS

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:11 am

Cavalier wrote:You seem to be worried about not being at a top-tier firm in your market, which is just silly. You shouldn't avoid a location just because you won't be at the very top if that's where you want to live. Partnership prospects vary from firm to firm. Check the partner:associate ratio for both firms to get an idea.
My worry isn't so much about not being at a "top-tier" firm in my market, as the overall cost/benefit when comparing a "secondary" BigLaw job to a strong regional job. I'm operating under the assumption that work/life balance and partnership prospects are better at the regional firm, and as such I'm wondering whether the higher pay/career opportunities/"prestige" of a secondary BigLaw job outweighs that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cavalier wrote:You seem to be worried about not being at a top-tier firm in your market, which is just silly. You shouldn't avoid a location just because you won't be at the very top if that's where you want to live. Partnership prospects vary from firm to firm. Check the partner:associate ratio for both firms to get an idea.
My worry isn't so much about not being at a "top-tier" firm in my market, as the overall cost/benefit when comparing a "secondary" BigLaw job to a strong regional job. I'm operating under the assumption that work/life balance and partnership prospects are better at the regional firm, and as such I'm wondering whether the higher pay/career opportunities/"prestige" of a secondary BigLaw job outweighs that.
Some would say that working in a smaller market allows you to get substantive work faster, which would make you more attractive as a lateral when you hit years 4-6.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”