Litigation Poll Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Patterson Belknap (NY) or Kirkland Ellis (NY) for Litigation?

Patterson Belknap
44%
Kirkland Ellis
56%

Total votes: 16

Anonymous User

Litigation Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:28 am

For litigation... which will be the best combination of good exposure and a good environment?

Anonymous User

Re: Litigation Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:For litigation... which will be the best combination of good exposure and a good environment?
Good environment is totally subjective bro. I don't know much about Patterson, but I know that K&E is distinctly not for everyone. But probably can't go wrong re: exposure. It's fun to have choices!

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:09 am

If you like limited areas Patterson covers and if you think you're interested in big law long term, go to Patterson.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:13 am

spondee wrote:If you like limited areas Patterson covers and if you think you're interested in big law long term, go to Patterson.
Do you think K&E has better exit options if you don't want to be there your whole life or might want to leave NY?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:15 am

spondee wrote:If you like limited areas Patterson covers and if you think you're interested in big law long term, go to Patterson.
This.
Anonymous User wrote: Do you think K&E has better exit options if you don't want to be there your whole life or might want to leave NY?
Maybe, but PB is well-known.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:59 pm

I'm interested in this as well if anyone has any opinions...

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spondee wrote:If you like the limited areas Patterson covers and if you think you're interested in big law long term, go to Patterson.
Do you think K&E has better exit options if you don't want to be there your whole life or might want to leave NY?
Yeah, in general, I think exit options would be better out of K&E. I do think Patterson is well-known within NY within its limited practice areas, but outside of that, it really isn't. So if the exit options that interest you are not within NY or are not within those practice areas, Patterson won't have the same signaling effect on your resume that K&E would. Beyond that, even within NY, within those practice areas, K&E seems to have bigger clients, which will likely have an impact on the quality and quantity of in-house options.

The major benefit to Patterson seems to be that, although attorneys there work hard, too, they seem to strike a more humane work-life balance than the V10 firms that they compete with for associates. And if your goal is to make partner, it seems like you'd live a happier, healthier life at Patterson (even though you'd be richer at K&E).

And fwiw, only a 3L. So no expert on any of this. Just considered these two firms, among others, last year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”