Name firms who no-offered 2011 SA's Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Name firms who no-offered 2011 SA's

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:50 pm

Ice miller was brutal this year.....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:52 am

Schiff Hardin Chicago reportedly no-offers regularly. Think I heard 3/8 got no-offered this year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:MUNGER

Stay away.
how many people got no offered this year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:18 am

Debevoise NYC no offered 1 person.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:31 am

I'm not sure how helpful this thread actually is in rooting out firms that have problematic offer policies. I mean, for firms that have no-offered a significant portion of their class for the past few years, then yes, this thread is likely to be very helpful. But for firms that have no-offered 1 or 2 people and they have a rather large class, I feel like this thread probably causes more fear than helps.

I summered at a firm my 1L summer and was absolutely appalled by some of the antics of a few of my fellow 2L summer associates (I'm talking not coming into work numerous times, pawning off assignments on other summers, drinking an excessive amount a firm events - i.e. taking shots in the presence of numerous partners). Unsurprisingly, those 2Ls did not get offers to return to the firm. Just looking at the firm statistics, however, would show that the firm only offered 8/10 summers. Thus, even though the firm originally hired a summer class with the intention of giving everyone offers at the end of the summer, their offer rate was only 80% because some summers genuinely f***ed up and didn't "earn" an offer.

I think TLS users underestimate how unprofessional other law students can be while working at a law firm over the summer. So a firm that has only no-offered 1 or 2 people is probably a fine choice (unless you've spoken with ppl who summered at the firm and come to the conclusion that the no-offers were totally unwarranted).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not sure how helpful this thread actually is in rooting out firms that have problematic offer policies. I mean, for firms that have no-offered a significant portion of their class for the past few years, then yes, this thread is likely to be very helpful. But for firms that have no-offered 1 or 2 people and they have a rather large class, I feel like this thread probably causes more fear than helps.

I summered at a firm my 1L summer and was absolutely appalled by some of the antics of a few of my fellow 2L summer associates (I'm talking not coming into work numerous times, pawning off assignments on other summers, drinking an excessive amount a firm events - i.e. taking shots in the presence of numerous partners). Unsurprisingly, those 2Ls did not get offers to return to the firm. Just looking at the firm statistics, however, would show that the firm only offered 8/10 summers. Thus, even though the firm originally hired a summer class with the intention of giving everyone offers at the end of the summer, their offer rate was only 80% because some summers genuinely f***ed up and didn't "earn" an offer.

I think TLS users underestimate how unprofessional other law students can be while working at a law firm over the summer. So a firm that has only no-offered 1 or 2 people is probably a fine choice (unless you've spoken with ppl who summered at the firm and come to the conclusion that the no-offers were totally unwarranted).
I think it is true in some cases but for the most case if there were 6 summer associates and only 3 or 2 of them got offered back the chances of 1/2 of the SA being that unprofessional is pretty damn low.

I think we should start mentioning firms who no offered more than 10-20% of the class. Not just every firm who no offered one person.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:14 pm

f7u12 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Debevoise NYC no offered 1 person.
TBF, I heard that he earned it.
And last year they offered 50 out of 52 in NYC, so safe to assume that Debevoise gives offers to everyone who doesn't act like an idiot? Any idea of if they do cold offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:MUNGER

Stay away.
how many people got no offered this year?
It's not that bad. Two people no-offered last year (a third withdrew from consideration), and two of twenty-five-ish no-offered this year.

Indianaman

New

Post by Indianaman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ice miller was brutal this year.....
Any information as to why? Bad summers? Or did they plan to only hire 1/2?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:48 pm

I believe Dickstein Shapiro NY no-offered/rescinded more than half in both 2009 and 2010. Don't know about 2011.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:57 pm

There is one measurable advantage to firms that give at least a cold offer to everyone (DPW, Cleary), which is that:

1) Sometimes those 1-2 people genuinely acted like idiots. Other times, some powerful partner took an intense disliking to them for nothing more than being as clueless as every other summer associate.

2) Come 3L OCI, you want that cold offer to point to, even if it's a dirty, dirty lie.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:05 pm

Not to sound naive, but what on earth would possess a person to skip work, shirk assignments and take shots at firm events?! I just... what?!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:06 pm

what about the NYC market? do those firms generally give all offers

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is one measurable advantage to firms that give at least a cold offer to everyone (DPW, Cleary), which is that:

1) Sometimes those 1-2 people genuinely acted like idiots. Other times, some powerful partner took an intense disliking to them for nothing more than being as clueless as every other summer associate.

2) Come 3L OCI, you want that cold offer to point to, even if it's a dirty, dirty lie.
Do any firms even cold offer anymore. ITE, you'd get people taking the offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:23 pm

+1, although I've heard some of it was the personalities of the people who were no-offered.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:27 pm

I think this thread could be helpful, but hearing "Giant firm X no-offered 1 person" is really unhelpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
+1, although I've heard some of it was the personalities of the people who were no-offered.

any idea of actual number of no-offers?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

any idea of actual number of no-offers?
Heard 3 of 7. That could be wrong, but I heard that from a few people. I know it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3 out of 7ish. I did my HW cause it was a firm I was considering.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:14 am

Can someone back up the cold-offers mentioned above at DPW and Cleary??? Did this happen last year or in years past as well?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can someone back up the cold-offers mentioned above at DPW and Cleary??? Did this happen last year or in years past as well?
I meant DPW and Cleary are known to give cold offers, not that they did last year. At these firms it's simply assumed on day 1 that everyone will get an offer. The cold offer horror stories are along the lines of "X stopped showing up to work, she was asked not to accept her offer."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:For ATL peeps, I know Miller & Martin no-offered 1 of the three SAs (the only 2L)
Was even worse for M&M in Nashville.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There is one measurable advantage to firms that give at least a cold offer to everyone (DPW, Cleary), which is that:

Do any firms even cold offer anymore. ITE, you'd get people taking the offers.
Seriously. If I were given a cold offer, I would accept it if I couldn't get any other offers. I doubt the firm would want to end up on ATL for revoking a permanent offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can someone back up the cold-offers mentioned above at DPW and Cleary??? Did this happen last year or in years past as well?
I meant DPW and Cleary are known to give cold offers, not that they did last year. At these firms it's simply assumed on day 1 that everyone will get an offer. The cold offer horror stories are along the lines of "X stopped showing up to work, she was asked not to accept her offer."
Gotcha. I am summering at one of these firms so I literally had a heart attack when I read that initially. Thanks!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:20 pm

Even ITE I suspect someone who can get Cleary can pull off a 3L offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Gotcha. I am summering at one of these firms so I literally had a heart attack when I read that initially. Thanks!
For the record, every incident of cold-offering I heard of at one of the above firms that I worked at happened years ago and was for extremely egregious conduct. Turns out sexually harassing people is a great way to not be welcomed back to the firm with open arms. Who knew?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”