NYC Litigation - another poll! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where should I go for litigation?

Kirkland
19%
Paul, Weiss
68%
Skadden
13%

Total votes: 31

Anonymous User

NYC Litigation - another poll!

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:03 pm

Because I trust you, TLS.

Renzo

Gold

Re: NYC Litigation - another poll!

Post by Renzo » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:32 pm

Paul Weiss for sure.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Any particular type of lit? Long term goals (AUSA, in-house, firm)? Any fit preferences?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:49 am

Any soft factors you may want to take into account? For example, maybe you met some really cool former summer associates from your school or something of that sort ;)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:18 pm

Curious why PW is so thoroughly dominating? I am choosing between PW and (potentially) K&E and leaning PW but did not think it was this simple a decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:26 pm

My general sense is that PW has a slight edge in cachet/prestige/reputation for lit in NYC, but the cultures and business models of these places are much bigger differentiators. E.g. if you don't mind having to eat only what you kill, KE might allow you to get interesting substantive work earlier if you're good and aggressive. Skadden is, well, Skadden.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:16 pm

Any thoughts on whether White Collar Dep't at Skadden might be better than PW if US Attorneys Office is goal.

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Curious why PW is so thoroughly dominating? I am choosing between PW and (potentially) K&E and leaning PW but did not think it was this simple a decision.
TLS oversimplifies. PW is reduced to "best NY firm for litigation," which makes voting easy. I'd guess (but didn't check) that Chambers would rank PW and Skadden band 1 and K&E NY band 2. So PW is a great choice, but OP should think about the types of cases that each handles and the fit/feel of the firms, then choose from those factors.
Anonymous User wrote:My general sense is that PW has a slight edge in cachet/prestige/reputation for lit in NYC, but the cultural and business model of these places is a much bigger differentiator. E.g. if you don't mind having to eat only what you kill, KE might allow you to get interesting substantive work earlier if you're good and aggressive. Skadden is, well, Skadden.
Agree with most of this, but from what I've heard, K&E's eat-what-you-kill reputation is overstated. A free market system creates a cutthroat environment when work is scarce, but when a firm's busy (and K&E lit will be busy with BP for years), a free market system can work in an associate's favor. Because there's too much work and too few people to do it, associates have more say in what they do and who for (assuming their work product is good enough that partners and sr associates want them to do more).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any soft factors you may want to take into account? For example, maybe you met some really cool former summer associates from your school or something of that sort ;)
:oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”