paid personal injury internship this semester Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

paid personal injury internship this semester

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:39 am

Quick question: how much should I expect to make?

Background: I'm a 2L interviewing for a paid internship at a midsize personal injury firm in a secondary market. The secondary market is my preferred market. The internship is standard - research, drafting pleadings, etc. This is for an internship during the school year, not the summer.

The internship is definitely paid, but I have no idea how much to expect. If compensation comes up during the interview, I want to be aware of the right range.

Sup Kid

Silver

Re: paid personal injury internship this semester

Post by Sup Kid » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Quick question: how much should I expect to make?

Background: I'm a 2L interviewing for a paid internship at a midsize personal injury firm in a secondary market. The secondary market is my preferred market. The internship is standard - research, drafting pleadings, etc. This is for an internship during the school year, not the summer.

The internship is definitely paid, but I have no idea how much to expect. If compensation comes up during the interview, I want to be aware of the right range.
$17-$20/hour is probably average, with $15 as a floor and $25 as a ceiling. Edit: It might be a little lower, depending on your secondary market. Those amounts are what I've seen in a pretty expensive city.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:22 am

You know, I have 5 clerkship interviews, 3 COA, 1 in D.D.C., and I can't get a single 3L internship. I've only applied to one place (and bombed the interview, which is a shame because it's an amazing firm), but there don't even seem to be many around in DC to interview for.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:You know, I have 5 clerkship interviews, 3 COA, 1 in D.D.C., and I can't get a single 3L internship. I've only applied to one place (and bombed the interview, which is a shame because it's an amazing firm), but there don't even seem to be many around in DC in the interview.
I wouldn't even half care about a 3L internship if I had 3 COA interviews lined up. Firms will be on their knees with their mouths open for you if you get one.

.. or are you just looking for the internship for some extra $$ during the year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:30 am

zomginternets wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You know, I have 5 clerkship interviews, 3 COA, 1 in D.D.C., and I can't get a single 3L internship. I've only applied to one place (and bombed the interview, which is a shame because it's an amazing firm), but there don't even seem to be many around in DC in the interview.
I wouldn't even half care about a 3L internship if I had 3 COA interviews lined up. Firms will be on their knees with their mouths open for you if you get one.

.. or are you just looking for the internship for some extra $$ during the year?
Um, yeah, I tend to eat about $45 worth of food a day, so I was living for $400 under-budget in rent last year, but this year that has changed, and so I need the money to cover my insane food overages. So I'm tutoring 1Ls and in theory that should be $500/month, but I may not bill as many hours as they said I'd get to. Also, since I've never worked for a firm, I thought it'd be nice to get the experience.

That said, I don't know about on their knees with their mouths open. At least, the handful of firms I'm interested in won't be, though I will get a chance with them to impress in an interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”