Question from a Boaltie Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question from a Boaltie

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:37 am

Berkeley 3L here, a bit below median (as far as i can tell). Public interest 2L summer.

I've OCIed, mass-mailed firms, clerkship-applied, spammed everything remotely relevant on the B-Line. Still nothing. What else should I do?

Anonymous User

Re: Question from a Boaltie

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Berkeley 3L here, a bit below median (as far as i can tell). Public interest 2L summer.

I've OCIed, mass-mailed firms, clerkship-applied, spammed everything remotely relevant on the B-Line. Still nothing. What else should I do?
What about PD/DA? I know these are tough too. But I'm guessing its easier than big law, especially if you're truly a bit below median (which is like half Hs right?)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:58 am

I feel like there is still an opportunity to get a firm job even though your prospects of big law are dwindling. It is still only the second week of September -- I would keep plugging away at B-Line and I would honestly just try to network -- look at smaller firms (NALP/Martindale) (I'm assuming you may want to stay in the bay?) and emailing alum there. You never know what you might find -- It's too early to give up!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:14 am

my problem with PD/DA would be 0 actual interest and 0 demonstrated interest. i haven't even taken crim pro ;p (probably take it my last semester just for bar purposes)

Also yeah they're pretty hard to get too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:05 am

I'm a 3L classmate in the same position. I got lucky and received 2 CBs from OCI, and 2 from outside of OCI. No offers yet. =(

But I've seen a lot of positive responses by reaching out to alumni. Email them, ask them questions about the market, and once you've made contact, ask them if they know who you could pass a resume to at their firm. Usually they've offered to help my out and get it to the right person. I've been spending hours each day doing this. I should probably spend some more time doing my reading, but I'm giving it my all before it's too late!

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:52 am

Good luck 2:05. At least you've gotten callbacks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:17 pm

Bleh. It's been over a week since the last call back and now I'm even more depressed. This sucks. =(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:07 pm

It could be worse I guess. We could be jobless but at a Tier 3 or 4 school with even dimmer prospects.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It could be worse I guess. We could be jobless but at a Tier 3 or 4 school with even dimmer prospects.
This. I'm a 2L at a T3 in a saturated market, and only 3 people in my entire class have got biglaw offers. Imagine the prospects of the bottom half of my class, paying 100% tuition and no realistic shot at any firm job ITE. At least you guys got the Boalt name/alumni connections.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:03 am

Well at this point I don't feel like I have any realistic shot at a firm job. But I might be able to do public interest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:25 am

to clarify as to why i think 0 chance at firm job, i just think private employers have 0 interest in sub-median boalties without 2L firm experience.

and btw I am applying BROADLY, firm "prestige" wise and geographically. nobody cares. and why should they, I guess? There's lots of people with actual experience who are still unemployed, if they were hiring at all...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:18 am

Find a niche. I've chosen a super specialized practice area and I'm applying to certain partners selling myself with that. I'm 2:05. I'm sitting hear blasting techno browsing through firm's websites for those partners in my niche. I don't know how my grades are gonna turn out this semester (lots of Ps???!!!), but at least I'm giving it my all. Post here if you get anything!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”