Cold offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Cold offered?

Yes. Start 3L job hunting.
14%
No. You're paranoid.
57%
No, but you should still start 3L job hunting, stat.
29%

Total votes: 35

blurbz

Silver

Re: Cold offer?

Post by blurbz » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:11 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
rayiner wrote:
lserenfindis wrote:Thanks all. Don't think I ran into any of the above problems, but maybe I ran over some partner's pet cat or something without knowing it? My mid-summer evals didn't mention anything problematic.
EAP is for alcohol abuse, drug abuse, or depression. If you didn't look depressed, maybe you looked like you were high as a kite?
He was probably high as a Georgia pine.
So they want him to get help before he ends up buying the farm?
It's been a year, but I still remember this case.

Love it.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:45 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:was told by a partner that when they cold offer they make it very explicit - like "we are extending you an offer, but we think you will be much happier at another firm"

ironically, he also said that about 80% of cold offers actually ended up coming back. so worse case scenario, even if you are cold offered you can still accept it.
This doesn't sound like a true cold offer to me. My understanding is that a cold offer is not welcome back. It's an offer in name only, and not in reality.
An explicit cold-offer is basically a contradiction in terms. NALP has explicitly (see the true definition of the word) denounced the practice, so any firm making a clear cold offer would be committing a no-no.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:53 pm

Think hard: did you use baby powder or baking soda on or around your desk and do a bad job cleaning up?

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:00 pm

clintonius wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:was told by a partner that when they cold offer they make it very explicit - like "we are extending you an offer, but we think you will be much happier at another firm"

ironically, he also said that about 80% of cold offers actually ended up coming back. so worse case scenario, even if you are cold offered you can still accept it.
This doesn't sound like a true cold offer to me. My understanding is that a cold offer is not welcome back. It's an offer in name only, and not in reality.
An explicit cold-offer is basically a contradiction in terms. NALP has explicitly (see the true definition of the word) denounced the practice, so any firm making a clear cold offer would be committing a no-no.
I'm betting that ITE, they have to be pretty clear, lest they be accepted. You have to get at least a couple of paychecks before they can lay you off, right?

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:40 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
clintonius wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:

I'm betting that ITE, they have to be pretty clear, lest they be accepted. You have to get at least a couple of paychecks before they can lay you off, right?
So with an 80% acceptance rate, what does that tell you?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:24 pm

clintonius wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:

Yet several V10s continue to do this.

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:34 pm

So I've never worked at a firm so I know nothing about this topic, but if some of the hypos people are throwing out were the case, he simply wouldn't have been offered, right? It seems weird that there's this gray area where they can be worried enough about an SA's demeanor to suggest he seek assistance, and yet pleased enough with him to make him an associate.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:36 pm

traydeuce wrote:So I've never worked at a firm so I know nothing about this topic, but if some of the hypos people are throwing out were the case, he simply wouldn't have been offered, right? It seems weird that there's this gray area where they can be worried enough about an SA's demeanor to suggest he seek assistance, and yet pleased enough with him to make him an associate.
t

Yet somehow, unless OP badly misheard something, that seems to be the case.

Quite the mystery we have on our hands!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:40 pm

People saying it's a cold offer are wrong. They tell you to consider other options, even if they don't say "you can accept." And they don't congratulate you.

What happened is hiring committee gave him an offer based on he feedback in his file. One person must've said something along the lines of "OP's work was fine but he came into a meeting visibly hung over." Hence referral to employee assistance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:07 pm

clintonius wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:

so...would u rather have a no-offer? b/c a cold offer is a condolence.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:15 pm

clintonius wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:

You seriously think NALP guidelines matter at all?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”