S&C (NY) vs. WilmerHale (DC) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which should I choose?

1. S&C
25%
2. WilmerHale
75%

Total votes: 20

Anonymous User

S&C (NY) vs. WilmerHale (DC)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:52 pm

I'm interested in litigation. I prefer DC to NYC but I don't want to go to an inferior firm just because of location. I want to pick Wilmer because I'm interested in the DC practice but I'm concerned about giving up an offer from a V3 firm.

Would I be an idiot to choose Wilmer over S&C given my interests?

How different are exit options between the two firms?

Anonymous User

Re: S&C (NY) vs. WilmerHale (DC)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm interested in litigation. I prefer DC to NYC but I don't want to go to an inferior firm just because of location. I want to pick Wilmer because I'm interested in the DC practice but I'm concerned about giving up an offer from a V3 firm.

Would I be an idiot to choose Wilmer over S&C given my interests?

How different are exit options between the two firms?
DC and NYC firms aren't comparable on the same scale. Vault measures the strength of a firm's corporate practice. You're not losing anything by taking Wilmer.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:58 pm

Go to Wilmer. Don't look back. Wilmer is an elite and prestigious DC firm with name recognition, and with your desire for a DC practice you would be a fool to follow vault.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:18 pm

OP here: But what about exit options? Let's say I don't want to work at a firm forever. What sort of exit options would a litigation associate at S&C have over a lit associate at Wilmer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: But what about exit options? Let's say I don't want to work at a firm forever. What sort of exit options would a litigation associate at S&C have over a lit associate at Wilmer?
WilmerHale would have better exits into government.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: But what about exit options? Let's say I don't want to work at a firm forever. What sort of exit options would a litigation associate at S&C have over a lit associate at Wilmer?
None, unless you want to be in NY. But since you said you prefer DC to NY, Wilmer will have (far) better ties to government in DC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:23 pm

By the way, I really hit it off, as a transfer fresh out of a t35, with my Wilmer OCI interviewer last year; we exchanged a ton of emails about some things he argued in the Supreme Court, law firm hiring, etc. But of course he couldn't actually help me with Wilmer last year. So now after the great grades at my t14, various clerkship interviews, could I write to him and say, hey, remember me, could I somehow sneak into your hiring process? They didn't do 3L OCI at all; others - W&C - did.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:By the way, I really hit it off, as a transfer fresh out of a t35, with my Wilmer OCI interviewer last year; we exchanged a ton of emails about some things he argued in the Supreme Court, law firm hiring, etc. But of course he couldn't actually help me with Wilmer last year. So now after the great grades at my t14, various clerkship interviews, could I write to him and say, hey, remember me, could I somehow sneak into your hiring process? They didn't do 3L OCI at all; others - W&C - did.
wtf is this I don't even

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:29 pm

GeePee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:By the way, I really hit it off, as a transfer fresh out of a t35, with my Wilmer OCI interviewer last year; we exchanged a ton of emails about some things he argued in the Supreme Court, law firm hiring, etc. But of course he couldn't actually help me with Wilmer last year. So now after the great grades at my t14, various clerkship interviews, could I write to him and say, hey, remember me, could I somehow sneak into your hiring process? They didn't do 3L OCI at all; others - W&C - did.
wtf is this I don't even
I don't know, I don't know shit about firms. I'm probably the most academically inclined, uneconomically aware law student you'll ever meet. Or whose typed remarks you'll see, anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:09 pm

GeePee wrote:
None, unless you want to be in NY. But since you said you prefer DC to NY, Wilmer will have (far) better ties to government in DC.
OP here

What are the exit options for a S&C lit associate in NYC?

I just want to get an idea, cause all I've heard in terms of exit ops in NYC are for corp associates.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:33 am

While litigation in-house jobs are rarer than corporate in-house, S&C is actually a good place to grab a lit in-house position because of the investigatory nature of so much of the firm's litigation. Sullivan & Cromwell is not a trial firm by any stretch of the imagination (in fact, some associates comment that the firm really only really has 1 trial lawyer), which means that heavy-courtroom exit options are compromised vis-a-vis peer firms while advisory exit options are strengthened. However, the S&C associates I've spoken with suggest that S&C--->Trial Firm--->Partnership Track/Gov't is fairly common as well and the second firm is a good jumping point into that kind of work, whatever the capacity.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
GeePee wrote:
wtf is this I don't even
I don't know, I don't know shit about firms. I'm probably the most academically inclined, uneconomically aware law student you'll ever meet. Or whose typed remarks you'll see, anyway.
I'll bet a $1M I know this anon's TLS identity. :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:43 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
GeePee wrote:
wtf is this I don't even
I'll bet a $1M I know this anon's TLS identity. :lol:
Betting $5mil :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”