Letting firms know they are #1 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Letting firms know they are #1

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:27 pm

I know this was already a thread, but just something I've been considering:

If firms give more offers than they expect to be accepted, does the fact that they know you will accept decrease your odds? Would this only be the case for candidates below the upper crust?

LjakW

Bronze

Re: Letting firms know they are #1

Post by LjakW » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know this was already a thread, but just something I've been considering:

If firms give more offers than they expect to be accepted, does the fact that they know you will accept decrease your odds? Would this only be the case for candidates below the upper crust?
I don't see how the issue you discuss would hurt your chances. Do you think a firm enjoys not knowing whether someone will accept/reject their offer?

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:24 pm

I actually told a firm they were one of my very first choices.
At least they know I'm honest.
(I did that with schools also.)

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If firms give more offers than they expect to be accepted, does the fact that they know you will accept decrease your odds? Would this only be the case for candidates below the upper crust?
This would only make sense if they were extending you an offer while hoping you would decline it. There's a difference between a firm extending offers to more people than it hopes to hire and extending offers to individuals who it actively hopes not to hire. The latter would be crazy, unless I'm missing something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:13 pm

Didn't mention this in interviews, but would this be a good thing to include in my thank you letter to the recruitment coordinator post-CB?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:02 pm

How do you go about doing this?

Just tell both of the partners in the interview you'd accept an offer, or do you tell the recruiter?

Seems awkward to tell the partner, but I'm not sure the recruiters do anything in the process except answer questions with cliches.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:14 pm

Just say, "Thank you for having me. X firm was my top choice coming in, and from what I've seen today, it definitely still is." I don't think you need to tell anyone this except the hiring partner really.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”