Do Firms Ever Reconsider SAs after No-Offering Them? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ResIpsa21

Bronze

Re: Do Firms Ever Reconsider SAs after No-Offering Them?

Post by ResIpsa21 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:26 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:ITT: OP reveals he has zero self-respect.
This.

I really don't mean to be rude, but maybe TLS should give OP some tough love here. This is kind of like when your best friend gets dumped and keeps saying "but maybe if I call her again and tell her how much I love her, she'll take me back...." Sorry, that's just not going to happen. The best advice is for you to drop a line to partner that might have liked you about your continued interest and then move on.

I disagree with the above anon poster who is encouraging OP's attitude by describing the firm that is trying to hire summers that were no-offered two years ago. Maybe one firm is doing that, but this is 2011, not 2009, and things have changed a lot in two years. Combine that with the Class of 2012 going through 3L OCI and the Class of 2013 taking on summer positions right now, and all of this adds up to OP not getting an offer.

Long story short: a no-offer is a no-offer. It's not a wait list, it's not a "we'll let you know soon", it's not even a "don't call us, we'll call you." It's a NO OFFER. Gotta accept it and move on.

Anonymous User

Re: Do Firms Ever Reconsider SAs after No-Offering Them?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:28 am

OP: I got no offered from a firm like that. (we might even have been at the same firm). Don't burn any bridges, thank everyone at the firm for their help including the person who didn't give you an offer. One associate at my firm this summer told me that it is possible they might hire someone who was no offered. However, I doubt it due to the continued history of overhiring summers. In your case, it is probably the same situation.

Also, at your school, warn future interviewers of the firm. Just tell them that they have a low offer rate but the people there are "great." However, i also realize that in this economy even a 50% chance is better than nothing. So they really can screw over the people at T2 or even lower t1 schools.

I summered at a firm that "overhired" for the last 3 years and have had ~50% offer rates. It really sucks because ITE there aren't that many "bad apples." Sometimes the differentiation is marginal and questionable. You should start mass mailing right now and see what happens.

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”