Callback Dinner Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback Dinner

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:39 pm

I have a callback coming up with a national firm in a medium market. It's a weekend callback with other students. The instructions say that "business casual attire" is "appropriate" for the dinner the night before and the interviews the next day. I was thinking of wearing a jacket and khakis for the dinner and a suit for the interviews the next day. Is that too formal, or does it sound about right? Because business casual is "appropriate," does that automatically make a suit inappropriate?

jeff5170

New

Re: Callback Dinner

Post by jeff5170 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:44 pm

I think you're fine. I would probably go with the slacks/dress shirt/blazer for the dinner, and maybe wear a pair of slacks, dress shirt + tie, and jacket for the interview.

jeff5170

New

Post by jeff5170 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:45 pm

And good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:35 am

After going through my closet, I discovered that I actually don't have a jacket that would be fit for this occasion. (They're all too light colored -- tan, etc.). I do have a navy suit jacket that I could wear though. Is there anything wrong with using a basic navy suit jacket as a sports coat as long as it looks ok?

Riles246

New

Post by Riles246 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After going through my closet, I discovered that I actually don't have a jacket that would be fit for this occasion. (They're all too light colored -- tan, etc.). I do have a navy suit jacket that I could wear though. Is there anything wrong with using a basic navy suit jacket as a sports coat as long as it looks ok?
Eh, in my opinion there is a big difference between a sport coat and a suit jacket. I worked in a business casual firm for a few years and while it was unusual to wear a sport coat too often, a suit jacket would stick out like a sore thumb. If you don't have a sport coat, just don't wear a jacket (or wear a regular outdoors jacket and check it when you get to the door, same difference). Jackets aren't important when dressing business casual, so don't overdo it.

That being said, if I were going to go business casual for an interview I'd probably shell out $100 at Macys for a sport coat. They aren't generally worn buttoned so you are likely to find one on the rack that will fit well enough.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:59 pm

Is this Bryan Cave?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:15 pm

Riles246 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:After going through my closet, I discovered that I actually don't have a jacket that would be fit for this occasion. (They're all too light colored -- tan, etc.). I do have a navy suit jacket that I could wear though. Is there anything wrong with using a basic navy suit jacket as a sports coat as long as it looks ok?
Eh, in my opinion there is a big difference between a sport coat and a suit jacket. I worked in a business casual firm for a few years and while it was unusual to wear a sport coat too often, a suit jacket would stick out like a sore thumb. If you don't have a sport coat, just don't wear a jacket (or wear a regular outdoors jacket and check it when you get to the door, same difference). Jackets aren't important when dressing business casual, so don't overdo it.

That being said, if I were going to go business casual for an interview I'd probably shell out $100 at Macys for a sport coat. They aren't generally worn buttoned so you are likely to find one on the rack that will fit well enough.
Good call. Ended up buying one and wearing it off the rack. Went fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is this Bryan Cave?
Nope.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a callback coming up with a national firm in a medium market. It's a weekend callback with other students. The instructions say that "business casual attire" is "appropriate" for the dinner the night before and the interviews the next day. I was thinking of wearing a jacket and khakis for the dinner and a suit for the interviews the next day. Is that too formal, or does it sound about right? Because business casual is "appropriate," does that automatically make a suit inappropriate?
Bring a condom and make sure your cell phone records. Sleeping with a partner and video taping it is an automatic job offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”