Total silence, top 30 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Total silence, top 30

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:19 pm

About 10 OCI screeners so far total (probably a quarter of all the ones I've applied for); they have felt mostly amicable. Everything from tiny firms to well-regarded-in-thesate midlaw to a V20 all over the Southeast. Been interviewing since Aug. 22nd. Nary a single CB so far. Top 1/3, not on a journal, going out for moot court but that's not decided yet. I've sent thank yous to every e-mail.

No dings yet, but neither any callbacks. What gives?

Things I'd do differently:
-Not mention I'm looking at a few cities all over the Southeast (though I've explained my reasons for/interest in doing this and said why I like or have connections to each city)
-Be more specific than talking about general strength of practice areas/regional focus/collegiality/other general strengths for why I want to be at THAT firm. Do you rattle off specifics of clients, cases won, etc. when you talk about why you like a firm?

But this aside, shouldn't I have heard something by now? Going a little crazy. When can I e-mail the recruiter just to get the rejection over with?

Some said it could be ten days before we hear anything but I really feel like that's just for the rejects?

Anonymous User

Re: Total silence, top 30

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:About 10 OCI screeners so far total (probably a quarter of all the ones I've applied for); they have felt mostly amicable. Everything from tiny firms to well-regarded-in-thesate midlaw to a V20 all over the Southeast. Been interviewing since Aug. 22nd. Nary a single CB so far. Top 1/3, not on a journal, going out for moot court but that's not decided yet. I've sent thank yous to every e-mail.

No dings yet, but neither any callbacks. What gives?

Things I'd do differently:
-Not mention I'm looking at a few cities all over the Southeast (though I've explained my reasons for/interest in doing this and said why I like or have connections to each city)
-Be more specific than talking about general strength of practice areas/regional focus/collegiality/other general strengths for why I want to be at THAT firm. Do you rattle off specifics of clients, cases won, etc. when you talk about why you like a firm?

But this aside, shouldn't I have heard something by now? Going a little crazy. When can I e-mail the recruiter just to get the rejection over with?

Some said it could be ten days before we hear anything but I really feel like that's just for the rejects?
get on a journal

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:32 pm

I think journal is overplayed. I would concentrate on interviewing as well as possible. Conduct a few mock interviews, with professionals if possible.

EDIT: Sorry for accidentally abusing the anon function.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:20 pm

From what I understand, the Southeast is often much slower to respond than other markets. Also, I've specifically been told by several mid-sized firms that no callbacks would go out until they finish interviewing everywhere.

It ain't over until the dings actually come in. I know from experience that it's very difficult, but try to be patient.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:26 pm

Fret not, I'm a bigger failure than you. No callbacks at OCI, and I'm top 5% at a T30.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:12 pm

If you havent heard from the big firms in the SE (mcguirewoods, K&L, A+B, K&S) by now, then its probably a soft ding. Im at a similarly ranked school and all the calls for vault firms have already gone out. Some calls from the local powers (Parker Hudson, MVA) have also been made. I know others are waiting to finish OCI everywhere, but that seems to be the mid-law firms and a select few local powers.

Similarly ranked school, better class rank, LR, and only one CB. Its tough out there.

memo2partner

New

Post by memo2partner » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:26 pm

school?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:29 am

Top 10%, secondary journal, T30.

I have a weird situation. So K&L Gates did not select me for an interview at our preselect school. They interviewed at our school, then they called me afterwards to set up a phone interview. I applied to them separately about a month before they came to our school.

Thoughts? Are they just desperate for candidates? Or did they just decide to give me a shot in case I wow them in an interview?

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:50 am

I'm guessing discussing that you have applied to more than one market is what has put you in this situation. Unless you are a top candidate who a firm would actively recruit, it is hard to get away with this. Smaller firms count on hiring people who are going to stick around and large firms, even though they expect attrition, still want you to stay until they are done with you.

Is there any way you can make a trip to one of these markets? This would give you an opportunity to call the recruiters and say that you plan to be in the area and would love the opportunity to meet with them. The danger here is that you might not get reimbursement for the trip.

I would also be sure that you have other irons in the fire. If you haven't already, mass mail other firms, talk with your professors, contact your 1L summer employer and track down any legal networking lead you have.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:39 am

What put you in this situation is not your journal situation or saying you were looking at multiple cities.

What put you in this situation is going to a t30 school during the worst legal market in memory. OCI was always going to be tough for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”