Any movement in Pittsburgh? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Any movement in Pittsburgh?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:50 pm

Anyone know if Babst Calland made offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:54 pm

1L here. Not from the area, but went to UG in SW PA and grew to love the city (I know more about Pittsburgh and its countryside than most of the natives). Now attend a Northeast T14. Think I have sufficient ties to land PGH biglaw?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L here. Not from the area, but went to UG in SW PA and grew to love the city (I know more about Pittsburgh and its countryside than most of the natives). Now attend a Northeast T14. Think I have sufficient ties to land PGH biglaw?
Absolutely you have sufficient ties. Question is what grades? No idea on this point, but my suspicion would be top half to have a shot, top third to have a great shot. I'd recommend e-mailing now or over break any (Cornell/Gtown?) law alums with firms at which you'd like to work. If none, Pitt undergrads will suffice. Take a trip back, sleep on a friends couch, and grab coffee with those attorneys if possible. Because of the insularity of the market there, it only helps to have friends within the firm who can write and e-mail to an interviewer/hiring committee on your behalf.

Also, I highly doubt you know more about Pittsburgh than most natives. If there is anything that Pittsburghers know, it is its history, its sports, and its "countryside(?)".

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1L here. Not from the area, but went to UG in SW PA and grew to love the city (I know more about Pittsburgh and its countryside than most of the natives). Now attend a Northeast T14. Think I have sufficient ties to land PGH biglaw?
Absolutely you have sufficient ties. Question is what grades? No idea on this point, but my suspicion would be top half to have a shot, top third to have a great shot. I'd recommend e-mailing now or over break any (Cornell/Gtown?) law alums with firms at which you'd like to work. If none, Pitt undergrads will suffice. Take a trip back, sleep on a friends couch, and grab coffee with those attorneys if possible. Because of the insularity of the market there, it only helps to have friends within the firm who can write and e-mail to an interviewer/hiring committee on your behalf.

Also, I highly doubt you know more about Pittsburgh than most natives. If there is anything that Pittsburghers know, it is its history, its sports, and its "countryside(?)".
Trust me, I have an unusual knack for this stuff. The sports I couldn't care less about, but I'm an expert on just about everything else.

As for grades, we will see. I'm reasonably shooting for median.

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Trust me, I have an unusual knack for this stuff. The sports I couldn't care less about, but I'm an expert on just about everything else.

Well knowing the sports in Pittsburgh is over 50% of it. Pittsburghers don't really care much about what qualifies as the "just about everything else."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:07 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well knowing the sports in Pittsburgh is over 50% of it. Pittsburghers don't really care much about what qualifies as the "just about everything else."
Maybe the ones with zero intellectual curiosity.

My point: I can satisfactorily assuage any and every flight risk question. I know where I would want to start out living, I have a few city neighborhoods/suburbs in mind as to where I want to raise a family (along with a tight list of public school districts/private day schools). I know the restaurants, the nightlife, the cultural scene. I even know what country club I'd want to belong to. As long as they're not unforgivably prejudiced against non-natives (and from what you all have been telling me, I'm fine as far as ties go), I'm very confident in my ability to impress natives with my PGH knowledge, all the way down to demographics.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Maybe the ones with zero intellectual curiosity.

My point: I can satisfactorily assuage any and every flight risk question. I know where I would want to start out living, I have a few city neighborhoods/suburbs in mind as to where I want to raise a family (along with a tight list of public school districts/private day schools). I know the restaurants, the nightlife, the cultural scene. I even know what country club I'd want to belong to. As long as they're not unforgivably prejudiced against non-natives (and from what you all have been telling me, I'm fine as far as ties go), I'm very confident in my ability to impress natives with my PGH knowledge, all the way down to demographics.
Good solution solution: Consider yourself a native. Better solution: Consider yourself a native, and don't mention that you know the country club of which you wish to be a member and don't brag about your expansive knowledge on private day schools.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Good solution solution: Consider yourself a native. Better solution: Consider yourself a native, and don't mention that you know the country club of which you wish to be a member and don't brag about your expansive knowledge on private day schools.
Yeah this. Walking into an office before you have the job talking about what you're going to do with your scudge mcduck money will not only make you look like a douche - it'll make you a douche.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Calm down children. All I'm saying is that I know the area extremely well (and we can leave it at that). Best of luck to those of you still awaiting callbacks/offers!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”