Help!!! Job advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help!!! Job advice

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:14 pm

So, I am not the typical TLS users. Here's the situation.

I am (barely) top 1/2 of a top 30 midwest school. This past summer I interned in a local D.A. office and did very well. I even won a few bench trials. I have great crim-related grades and received a crim scholarship from my school last semester. I did a crim clinic my first summer and thru second year. I also worked p/t at a small bankrupcty firm. Here's the problem, I do not want to stay in the midwest. I want to go to the somewhere on the East Coast. I've massed mailed a few D.A. offices and had two interviews in NY so far. One was last week and I havent heard back and one was a soft ding... I'm applying to the Honors program but I know that's a super long shot. Any guidance on how I can get a job? Any advice is greatly appreciationed.

nycdweller

New

Re: Help!!! Job advice

Post by nycdweller » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, I am not the typical TLS users. Here's the situation.

I am (barely) top 1/2 of a top 30 midwest school. This past summer I interned in a local D.A. office and did very well. I even won a few bench trials. I have great crim-related grades and received a crim scholarship from my school last semester. I did a crim clinic my first summer and thru second year. I also worked p/t at a small bankrupcty firm. Here's the problem, I do not want to stay in the midwest. I want to go to the somewhere on the East Coast. I've massed mailed a few D.A. offices and had two interviews in NY so far. One was last week and I havent heard back and one was a soft ding... I'm applying to the Honors program but I know that's a super long shot. Any guidance on how I can get a job? Any advice is greatly appreciationed.
I'd target smaller cities in your target area - so for example, if NY is the target, then maybe Philly, Newark, Trenton, Islip etc

Also, are you interested in the prosecution or defense side?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:23 pm

Delete the portion about only winning a few bench trials as a prosecutor. Just note that you have actual trial experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:27 pm

O.P. here,

I prefer the D.A. side after my experience this summer.I'll start the mass mail of the smaller areas this week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:29 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Delete the portion about only winning a few bench trials as a prosecutor. Just note that you have actual trial experience.

I actually did a interview with a large midwest :) D.A. office and the screener told me to specify that I won the cases I tried.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:57 pm

O.P. Bumping. C'mon smart people. Help out an average joe.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:O.P. Bumping. C'mon smart people. Help out an average joe.
There's not really much else you can do:

(1) Continue mass-mailing the DA's offices where you would like to work

(2) Contact any alumni from your law school or you undergrad who work in those offices

(3) See if any of your professors or supervisors from your summers know anyone in those offices

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”