Is silence after an OCI interview a rejection? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Retiarius

New

Is silence after an OCI interview a rejection?

Post by Retiarius » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:25 pm

I had a bunch of OCI interviews (New York) over the past 2 weeks. I got rejecton letters from almost half of them, and the rest I've heard nothing from. I know it's not a good sign, but should I expect rejection letters from these remaining firms, or am I just supposed to understand the silence as a rejection? What are the chances I may still get a callback at one of the firms I haven't heard back from?

Thanks in advance!

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Is silence after an OCI interview a rejection?

Post by romothesavior » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:53 pm

If they are NYC firms, then probably yes. Have other people gotten CBs with these firms? If so, then I'd say very likely yes, but I suppose you could be a backup plan if their first choices go elsewhere.

Retiarius

New

Post by Retiarius » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:07 am

romothesavior wrote:If they are NYC firms, then probably yes. Have other people gotten CBs with these firms? If so, then I'd say very likely yes, but I suppose you could be a backup plan if their first choices go elsewhere.
They are NYC firms, but I don't know whether or not anyone else at my school has gotten any callbacks at these firms.

Texgal87

New

Post by Texgal87 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:17 am

Retiarius wrote:I had a bunch of OCI interviews (New York) over the past 2 weeks. I got rejecton letters from almost half of them, and the rest I've heard nothing from. I know it's not a good sign, but should I expect rejection letters from these remaining firms, or am I just supposed to understand the silence as a rejection? What are the chances I may still get a callback at one of the firms I haven't heard back from?

Thanks in advance!
My understanding, based on what our Career Services Office (and other sources) say, is that firms often give an initial round of offers. They know x number of those offers will likely be rejected, and, if a sufficient number of offers are rejected, may make a second round of offers.

If others have received rejection letters/e-mails, I'd take solace in that fact. If they haven't, I wouldn't necessarily put myself in a state of despair, either.

Also keep in mind that I wasn't really applying in the NY market, and don't know much about NY-specific hiring practices. This being said, a number of my (older) friends have, and a few had such an experience. I don't, however, know HOW common that is in the NY market.

Best wishes, and I hope it works out for you!

dougroberts

Bronze

Post by dougroberts » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:37 am

Well from my experience (midwest) last year, I got CB rejections 1 week after CBs. But, for offers, I got the offer 2+ weeks after the CB. Unless you rock the CB and are top 5% or something, I think firms that like you at CB will hold onto you as they continue to interview more people, and then will make the final determination.

So, if you hear nothing, it means you are still in consideration? That's my guess. I ended up accepting an offer from a firm that gave me the offer about 3 weeks after the CB (I think I was one of the first they interviewed, and then they had to go through tons of other students, before circling back to who they wanted).

The time period between screening and CB for me was generally 2-3 weeks as well. Though, again, a few rejections were faster.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:39 am

dougroberts wrote:Well from my experience (midwest) last year, I got CB rejections 1 week after CBs. But, for offers, I got the offer 2+ weeks after the CB. Unless you rock the CB and are top 5% or something, I think firms that like you at CB will hold onto you as they continue to interview more people, and then will make the final determination.

So, if you hear nothing, it means you are still in consideration? That's my guess. I ended up accepting an offer from a firm that gave me the offer about 3 weeks after the CB (I think I was one of the first they interviewed, and then they had to go through tons of other students, before circling back to who they wanted).

The time period between screening and CB for me was generally 2-3 weeks as well. Though, again, a few rejections were faster.
were you focused on NYC or another market? i didn't interview with NYC firms and am just wondering if it's usual not to get a CB from firms in other markets right away (i've also received no rejections yet, snail mail or otherwise).

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:41 am

Same boat here. Thought screeners went OK, other people have CB's and I have nothing either way. And I live in the same town, so a snail-mail rejection should be here by now.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:43 am

Silence is not a rejection. Your status is on hold, most likely.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:46 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Silence is not a rejection. Your status is on hold, most likely.
Maybe. But even if so, being on hold isn't exactly a good thing. If you have 10 screeners for which you are on hold, I can't imagine you would ever hear positively from more than a handful. For NYC, no cb within 24-72 hours = very very likely rejection.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”