Telling Firm They're #1? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Telling Firm They're #1?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:34 pm

I have a CB interview next week with one of W&C, Covington, or WilmerHale (all DC). This firm is my #1 and I would accept an offer on the spot. Should I tell them this during the CB? Can it boost my chances? I'm well within their GPA range at my school but obv these firms are all pretty baller. If so, whom should I tell? Recruiter or one of my interviewers? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Telling Firm They're #1?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:38 pm

Maybe if you do it tactfully... it seems a little desperate to me

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:41 pm

There was a thread on this subject last year, but I don't really feel like looking for it right now. The gist of it was there is nothing wrong with saying the firm is your number one, but don't expect the firm to believe you unless you have some extraordinary way of demonstrating that.

I think most of that actual thread was dedicated to a debate over whether it was ok to lie and tell multiple firms they are your number one. I know I came down on the side of no, but I am pretty sure the majority said yes. And even though I don't think you SHOULD do it, I don't think anything is going to happen to you if you do. Other than the interviewer you lied to might think you are a dick.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:43 pm

Tough call. I am in a similar position with an NYC firm. I intend to express extreme enthusiasm but stop short of saying I will definitely accept.

thwalls

Bronze

Post by thwalls » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:46 pm

You...are...the duke of New York, A, #1!

(please tell me that someone out there gets that reference.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:00 pm

I told my number 1 choice that they are my number 1 choice. But I think they actually believe me because I have been very enthusiastic with them all year and I have made a number of strong contacts with the firm. So YMMV.

Dustin.

New

Post by Dustin. » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:05 pm

The answer to your question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FltRUoAaGdo

snailio

Bronze

Post by snailio » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:46 am

Actually you should have told them at OCI if you knew, but yes you should tell them, if you are sincere you'll have no problems.

I don't understand why people think enthusiasm is a weakness, they expect this of you. I know people who this has worked for.

Makes for less callbacks too. It's nice to have your number #1 pick salted away.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:58 am

I am also considering doing this and would love any input

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:18 am

This exact question came up in a Q&A with a hiring partner from a major NY firm this past semester. The partner said that if a firm is truly your #1 runaway choice, and you would be willing to accept an offer on the spot, you should absolutely let them know. It may sound silly at first--even a bit childish, but firms invest tremendous resources toward building their summer class and would actually take into account (favorably so) your commitment to join.

That being said, if you tell a firm they are #1 and you get a better offer elsewhere, it'll be pretty awkward to renege...

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:16 am

irie wrote: That being said, if you tell a firm they are #1 and you get a better offer elsewhere, it'll be pretty awkward to renege...
Which would be why you only use this card once, and make sure to mean it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:18 am

Bosque wrote:
irie wrote: That being said, if you tell a firm they are #1 and you get a better offer elsewhere, it'll be pretty awkward to renege...
OP here. Whom do I tell? My schedule is 3 interviews, then lunch. Should I find the recruiter at some point?

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Bosque wrote:
OP here. Whom do I tell? My schedule is 3 interviews, then lunch. Should I find the recruiter at some point?
Tell every one of the partners you meet with--they are the ones that will make the decision and go to bat for you in front of the hiring committee. You can tell the recruiters too, but it is much more important to impress the partners. Look and sound sincere, show good reason, if you have spent all year building your relationship with this firm and demonstrating your interest be sure to work that into the interview somehow. You'll almost certainly get the "why our firm" question at some point--make the most of it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:22 am

You'll usually meet the recruiter briefly between the interviews and the lunch. Do tell the most senior person you meet with (or, if one of them is a member of the recruiting committee, that person). Can't hurt to tell everyone, though.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can't hurt to tell everyone, though.
This. For this to work, you really need to make a good pitch as many times as you can. And you better have a better reason than "You're the highest ranked/paying firm that I think will take me" (I assume you do) or you shouldn't try.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:52 pm

Bumping this thread.

I'm waiting on a few callbacks with no offer yet. After visiting the firms, I now decisively know which one is my absolute #1. Should I contact the recruiter at that firm and let her know this?The firm takes a small class and I thought letting them know how serious I am may help. But at the same time, I don't want to come off as scary or desperate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this thread.

I'm waiting on a few callbacks with no offer yet. After visiting the firms, I now decisively know which one is my absolute #1. Should I contact the recruiter at that firm and let her know this?The firm takes a small class and I thought letting them know how serious I am may help. But at the same time, I don't want to come off as scary or desperate.
FWIW, I e-mailed a recruiter at a V5 on Wednesday, told her that I got an offer last week (so she can update my file), thanked her for all of her help in putting together my callback, and in so many words told her that the firm was my #1 choice. Got an offer on Friday. Was it because of that letter? No, of course not. Did I come off as desperate? Maybe (probably). But it obviously wasn't a deal-breaker. Be tactful and don't come off as a weirdo desperate stalker and you should be fine. I would find some reason to e-mail, even if it's apparently an excuse to e-mail (e.g. I wanted to update you on X, I wanted to thank you for your time and effort in arranging everything during my callback).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:39 pm

I had a callback with my #1 choice 3 weeks ago. I called them earlier this week to tell them that I had another offer deadline approaching, and that if they made me an offer I would 'almost definitely accept.' I got an offer 2 days later. Later, at the firm's reception, I asked somebody in recruiting if he thought my phone call contributed to receiving the offer shortly afterward, and he said that it definitely did.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a callback with my #1 choice 3 weeks ago. I called them earlier this week to tell them that I had another offer deadline approaching, and that if they made me an offer I would 'almost definitely accept.' I got an offer 2 days later. Later, at the firm's reception, I asked somebody in recruiting if he thought my phone call contributed to receiving the offer shortly afterward, and he said that it definitely did.
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this thread.

FWIW, I e-mailed a recruiter at a V5 on Wednesday, told her that I got an offer last week (so she can update my file), thanked her for all of her help in putting together my callback, and in so many words told her that the firm was my #1 choice. Got an offer on Friday. Was it because of that letter? No, of course not. Did I come off as desperate? Maybe (probably). But it obviously wasn't a deal-breaker. Be tactful and don't come off as a weirdo desperate stalker and you should be fine. I would find some reason to e-mail, even if it's apparently an excuse to e-mail (e.g. I wanted to update you on X, I wanted to thank you for your time and effort in arranging everything during my callback).
Thanks for your responses. I would just feel better doing this if i had an offer to leverage but I think now that contacting them is the right move.

Redzo

Bronze

Post by Redzo » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:56 pm

I'm a 1L and so I'm not even close to the job search yet. However, if I were going to use this tactic, I imagine that I would try to support the point with several good reasons why they were my number 1 choice. Like, "This firm is my number one choice because you have interesting clients, you do the kind of work that I want to do, and it has a reputation for being a good place to work," or something.

Otherwise, it might just sound like you're being disingenuous.

However, I haven't been through this process at all so I could be totally wrong about all of the above. Disclaimer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:09 pm

Redzo wrote:I'm a 1L and so I'm not even close to the job search yet. However, if I were going to use this tactic, I imagine that I would try to support the point with several good reasons why they were my number 1 choice. Like, "This firm is my number one choice because you have interesting clients, you do the kind of work that I want to do, and it has a reputation for being a good place to work," or something.

However, I haven't been through this process at all so I could be totally wrong about all of the above. Disclaimer.
Yeah, I think that's trying too hard.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:17 pm

Redzo wrote:I'm a 1L and so I'm not even close to the job search yet. However, if I were going to use this tactic, I imagine that I would try to support the point with several good reasons why they were my number 1 choice. Like, "This firm is my number one choice because you have interesting clients, you do the kind of work that I want to do, and it has a reputation for being a good place to work," or something.

Thank you 1L- it really hadn't occurred to me to say something intelligent about why I wanted to work at the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:21 pm

I think a good general answer is this: If you are sincere about your ranking of the firm as #1, you can tell them, BUT there is a caveat - be clever about it. If they're your number one, they'll probably be your first or early cb. When they ask you 'how are interviews going etc' you can tactfully say 'Oh, as a matter of fact this is my first interview, and I scheduled it first because I genuinely ranked it as my top choice' ... that way it looks like it naturally came out of the conversation. Also, when you thank the recruiter for setting up the interview schedule (I did this by email), you can say 'thanks for scheduling this interview early, I'm glad to have been able to visit my blah blah firm early since it is my top choice'

generally, be tactful so as not to appear desperate. hope this helps

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:29 pm

No, it sounds desperate. No one likes desperation. they like to court.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”