Orange County Firm Offices Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Orange County Firm Offices

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:51 pm

I have a few callbacks at orange county offices of some pretty big firms (Irell and Gibson Dunn). Do any of you know if the work done at these offices is different from their main offices in LA? I think I've heard that Irell does the same work but I have no clue on Gibson. GIbson's office in OC is fairly large (around 100), but I can't find any info on the work they do.

Also, do you know if working in an OC office will hinder my career opportunities as opposed to working in the main LA office or NY office?

Thanks.

desertlaw

Silver

Re: Orange County Firm Offices

Post by desertlaw » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:09 pm

Talked to Gibson about this during OCI. They said that because of their free market system, you can go out and get work from other offices. So even if you work in like Dallas or Orange County, you can still be working with a partner from D.C. on a case that's based out of someplace like NY or NorCal.

Not sure about other firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:40 pm

I did a callback with Irell OC. They work a ton with the LA office and from what I heard, their work is actually more varied than the LA office (not as IP-centric).

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:46 pm

Well, two types of stereotypically OC work are IP and VC/debt-funding/other-new-venture-related stuff. However, you really need to look firm-to-firm. There are exceptions, such as partners that have settled down in OC and run substantial amounts of bigger work out of OC because they want to be there. It depends.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:43 pm

I'm not from the area. Would you guys rather work/live in OC or in LA? I kind of got the feeling OC is really conservative/sterile. I like to have fun, go out; I enjoy hipsters a little bit. But I could also be into fake boobs or whatever OC has to offer. Can anyone explain what it's like to me?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:51 pm

OP here - I grew up in Irvine so I can tell you a bit. It's the perfect example of a wealthy suburb. Mostly white with a good heft of Asian but not a lot of other minorities. It's right next to the beach. Weather is perfect all the time. No traffic. Safe neighborhood to raise your kids and good public schools system.

Now for people in their 20s, it might not be the best fit. A lot of college kids (UCI) are there so you can hang with them if you get desperate. There are things to do like movie theaters, shopping malls, restaurants, etc., but not really much big city stuff so it can get boring and old. The good thing is that the OC is only a 45min to 1 hour drive away (without traffic) so going there on the weekends shouldn't be a problem.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:00 am

OP - want to PM me to chat more about OC stuff?

snailio

Bronze

Post by snailio » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:07 am

Gibson Dunn promotes a "client first" culture, rather than an "office" first culture, this allows the smart partners to take advantage of the strength across the breath of the firm and seek out the best work.

The free market system also allows those young associates who make use of it many advantages.

Of course the work has to emanate from somewhere in the case of Corporate work a lot does come from New York, but is still sent around to various offices, sometimes due to time constraints. As far as litigation goes, well they all get plenty.

If you are personable and do good work, good things will happen, it's just that simple.

The fact is, there are stellar attorneys at all Gibson locations...the depth pool varies from time to time and there might be some advantage for relationship proximity but I would hazard the work would trump most if not all of that.

If memory serves me right, I think the prime mover behind the 2010 Litigation department of the year award was an Orange County attorney.

I think really it's where you want to live that's a bigger determinant, rather than the office.

P.S.
this information is available on the interwebs, you just have to look closely.

Congratulations on Irell as well.....good luck

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”