dealing with competitive a-holes Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

dealing with competitive a-holes

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:31 am

I'm externing this semester for a judge. The guy/girl I'm working with is applying for clerkships. As am I.

He/she cannot stop injecting various bullet points of his/her resume into everyday conversation. And I have to spend two entire days per week for the next 13 weeks listening to this guy/girl yap away about how he/she has to do all this work for law review, and about how his/her prof called him/her the best thing since sliced bread.

This b/s is non-stop. I mean, it's unreal. When he/she isn't talking about hismelf, he/she is putting down other people.

I cannot realistically ignore this person. Our computers literally 6 feet away. No headphones in here (one of the clerks doesn't like the ear spray). What to do? Like, literally, this person cannot go 10 minutes into a convo without bragging about self, or school-attended, or rank, or clerkship prospects, or firm.

Platinum

Re: dealing with competitive a-holes

Post by 071816 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:34 am

Doesn't like the ear spray?

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:24 am

Just give the shortest possible response you can possibly give to whatever they say. After a couple of days they will get the hint that you hate them and they will stop talking to you.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:14 am

Notor wrote:Just give the shortest possible response you can possibly give to whatever they say. After a couple of days they will get the hint that you hate them and they will stop talking to you.
This, although I wouldn't even bother with words. A cough, sniffle, or throat clear should do the job.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm externing this semester for a judge. The guy/girl I'm working with is applying for clerkships. As am I.

He/she cannot stop injecting various bullet points of his/her resume into everyday conversation. And I have to spend two entire days per week for the next 13 weeks listening to this guy/girl yap away about how he/she has to do all this work for law review, and about how his/her prof called him/her the best thing since sliced bread.

This b/s is non-stop. I mean, it's unreal. When he/she isn't talking about hismelf, he/she is putting down other people.

I cannot realistically ignore this person. Our computers literally 6 feet away. No headphones in here (one of the clerks doesn't like the ear spray). What to do? Like, literally, this person cannot go 10 minutes into a convo without bragging about self, or school-attended, or rank, or clerkship prospects, or firm.
U MAD BRO?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:57 am

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:29 am

You can at least out the school. I'm very curious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:36 am

I would just say something like it must be quite a burden for this person to carry so much success and how classy they are for not talking about it much. Maybe that will shame them into shutting up.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:03 am

Isn't this like all law students?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:20 pm

If male: subtly dig at his not being a banker. If female: subtly dig at her looks.

sebastian0622

Bronze

Post by sebastian0622 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Just dejectedly say, "God, dude/girl, you're pretty much awesome" in response to most things. The use of repetition and hyperbole will indicate your discontent to all but the most dense of listeners.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:39 pm

Recommend they apply to clerk for Jesus, since they are so incredible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:43 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:Just dejectedly say, "God, dude/girl, you're pretty much awesome" in response to most things. The use of repetition and hyperbole will indicate your discontent to all but the most dense of listeners.
+1000

I had someone in my class do this. Lets say his name was Kevin. He would brag to me and my response would always be "I'm Kevin and I'm awesome!" He eventually got the message and stopped talking to me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”