Question about responding to offers
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:01 pm
So, I just got a voicemail from the hiring partner at a big NYC firm with which I have done a CB saying that he has "good news" for me and to call him back. I assume this means I have an offer, and when I call him back he will tell me so. This is great, and I'm thrilled. At the same time, I am interviewing with other firms that I would prefer over this one, and I do not plan to accept unless I don't get an offer from any of them.
Obviously, as per NALP rules, I will have 28 days to accept the offer. Additionally, I know that being awkward on the phone is not going to cause any negative repercussions. However, I have never really been in a position of deferring the decision on whether to accept a job offer before, and I'm not sure how to do so. Is there an accepted way of doing this for law students, where I assume it's common to hold on to offers until a better one comes along? How should I approach the matter on the phone?
Thanks for your help. I know this sounds like a silly question, and it probably is, but I'm just looking for simple advice.
Obviously, as per NALP rules, I will have 28 days to accept the offer. Additionally, I know that being awkward on the phone is not going to cause any negative repercussions. However, I have never really been in a position of deferring the decision on whether to accept a job offer before, and I'm not sure how to do so. Is there an accepted way of doing this for law students, where I assume it's common to hold on to offers until a better one comes along? How should I approach the matter on the phone?
Thanks for your help. I know this sounds like a silly question, and it probably is, but I'm just looking for simple advice.