Feeling Extremely Down Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Feeling Extremely Down

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:23 pm

No idea what to start doing, if anything yet....

Top 10% at a T25.

22 Screeners --> 2 Cbs -----> 7 Dings. Waiting on 13, but am getting depressed. 5 Dings today alone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:59 pm

I'm also feeling kinda depressed. It's been a week of OCI (11 screeners so far), and have only landed 1 CB. Granted, 4 of them were lottery picks (so I stood no chance), but for the other 7, I felt pretty good walking out.

UCLA/UT/Vandy - Right around top 1/3

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:06 am

It could be worse. You could be the only person you know with ZERO callbacks. Like me!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:44 pm

Negative hombre, zilch on the CB front too.

And my OCI ended two weeks ago. Mass mailing like my life depends on it ( it does).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:54 am

Just want to say that the whole you don't get jobs through mass mail is false. I know of people who got big law through mass mailing at my t-14. I know this anecdotal so not a strong data point, but you can't really have one because the people most likely to get something from mass mailing are also the most likely to get something from OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:02 pm

Last edited by eastcoast_iub on Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:45 pm

I know this sounds cliche, but just keep hustling. I'm top 40% at a T30, and literally got nothing through OCI, not even a screener, but I got an SA offer at an 100+ attorney firm in a secondary market just last week. I have no ties to the market except that it is near my university. You never know what is going to pan out, how, and when. Just keep making connections and letting anybody you know that can make a difference know that you are looking and what you want to do, and something may turn up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: So why did I think it would be okay to take out all that debt? Well, the first thing that my new school did after I was accepted was to put me in touch with career services. My career services representative told me that she was concerned that I wasn’t bidding on Sullivan Cromwell or Skadden (LOL)… I think that this concern was largely expressed to make me think that, by transferring, I was some kind of an all-star that would easily land BigLaw and that I would therefore be able to easily make up for the difference in cost for attending my new school. I had also read a bunch of posts on this forum talking about how CCN transfers virtually never struck out, which may have been true in the past but certainly isn’t today. Lastly, it’s fucking CCN! Based on everything that I had heard from everyone since I was 5 years old, I was under the impression that if you ever get into a professional program like that, you go.
What's wrong with bidding on Skadden? I know a couple transfers from T1s and low T2s that scored CBs there.
Were they first in their class at their old school? I was top 5% at my old school but barely, and I figured that my bids would best be spent outside of the V10. I know a lot of transfers that landed V11-V50 but very few that landed V10. Out of the ones that did land V10, pretty much all of them did their first year at a lower T14.
Around 20% of the transfers at my school ended up at V10 firms, and most of those people transferred from outside the lower t-14. Plus, I know at least two of last years 3L transfers who failed to get 2L SA's actually ended up getting offers from NY V5 firms through 3L OCI. I am a transfer at Chicago, however, and they take a hell of a lot less transfers than Columbia and NYU (as far as I know), so maybe that has something to do with it. I am fairly certain I would have been screwed had I stayed at my old school because I didn't make law review, and my grades weren't even that good. Transferring gave me a huge boosty boost.
This right here is the realest advice ever written on TLS. Particularly the part about shitlaw and the type of sink or swim experience you're undoubtedly going to have + what shitlaw partners value and attitudes toward training. Ever realer was the advice about making $$$ on volume. Shitlaw is the epitome of quantity vs. quantity. And it goes beyond shitlaw - be leery of local legal aid & local gov't criminal law jobs too. Most have the same sink or swim mentality - it's like either you shit or you get off the pot. Your colleagues and bosses are judging you every moment you start to drown - but don't expect them to throw you a life raft because they're swamped in their own voluminous pile of shitlaw as well. They have time to drive by the car accident and gawk, but no actual time (or monetary incentive) to stop and meaningfully assist.

Definitely Not North

Bronze

Post by Definitely Not North » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:09 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: So why did I think it would be okay to take out all that debt? Well, the first thing that my new school did after I was accepted was to put me in touch with career services. My career services representative told me that she was concerned that I wasn’t bidding on Sullivan Cromwell or Skadden (LOL)… I think that this concern was largely expressed to make me think that, by transferring, I was some kind of an all-star that would easily land BigLaw and that I would therefore be able to easily make up for the difference in cost for attending my new school. I had also read a bunch of posts on this forum talking about how CCN transfers virtually never struck out, which may have been true in the past but certainly isn’t today. Lastly, it’s fucking CCN! Based on everything that I had heard from everyone since I was 5 years old, I was under the impression that if you ever get into a professional program like that, you go.
What's wrong with bidding on Skadden? I know a couple transfers from T1s and low T2s that scored CBs there.
Were they first in their class at their old school? I was top 5% at my old school but barely, and I figured that my bids would best be spent outside of the V10. I know a lot of transfers that landed V11-V50 but very few that landed V10. Out of the ones that did land V10, pretty much all of them did their first year at a lower T14.
Around 20% of the transfers at my school ended up at V10 firms, and most of those people transferred from outside the lower t-14. Plus, I know at least two of last years 3L transfers who failed to get 2L SA's actually ended up getting offers from NY V5 firms through 3L OCI. I am a transfer at Chicago, however, and they take a hell of a lot less transfers than Columbia and NYU (as far as I know), so maybe that has something to do with it. I am fairly certain I would have been screwed had I stayed at my old school because I didn't make law review, and my grades weren't even that good. Transferring gave me a huge boosty boost.
This right here is the realest advice ever written on TLS. Particularly the part about shitlaw and the type of sink or swim experience you're undoubtedly going to have + what shitlaw partners value and attitudes toward training. Ever realer was the advice about making $$$ on volume. Shitlaw is the epitome of quantity vs. quantity. And it goes beyond shitlaw - be leery of local legal aid & local gov't criminal law jobs too. Most have the same sink or swim mentality - it's like either you shit or you get off the pot. Your colleagues and bosses are judging you every moment you start to drown - but don't expect them to throw you a life raft because they're swamped in their own voluminous pile of shitlaw as well. They have time to drive by the car accident and gawk, but no actual time (or monetary incentive) to stop and meaningfully assist.
took me a minute to figure out what the hell was going on here. Lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”