How to Express an Interest in White Collar Defense and AT Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to Express an Interest in White Collar Defense and AT

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:52 am

Tips for how to sound like you want to practice white collar defense or antitrust that doesn't make it sound like you've given up your soul? I'm having a hard time expressing WHY I want to practice in those fields (particularly because I haven't had the chance to take those classes yet).

TigerBeer

Bronze

Re: How to Express an Interest in White Collar Defense and AT

Post by TigerBeer » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:55 am

for white collar, because you love criminal law (in the academic interest sense) and because white collar defense gives you a chance to practice criminal while still working in big law?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:57 am

OP

Hated criminal law (well, found it incredibly interesting, but I don't think I could ever work on a murder case - there's just too much at stake on both sides).

What the f.supp?

Bronze

Post by What the f.supp? » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:26 am

OP - I share your exact same sentiment. I worked in DC big this summer and--by virtue of my econ interest-worked on antitrust 90% of the summer. However, white collar also intrigues me. I hope this thread bears some fruit!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:49 am

Just be honest. I have a background in investigations and have been expressing an interest in Internal Investigations and WC. I have 9 CBs so far and OCI's not yet done. I, to some extent, credit this to being able to speak passionately and excitedly about a particular practice area. Just be sure to temper your enthusiasm by stating that you're interested in general commercial disputes as well, but if the opportunity to work on WC and AT comes along you would be very eager to work on the matter. At a place like S&C where they do a ton of WC, that's not going to be a problem. See how many partners/associates actually work on WC (there should be more doing AT at most places) and then adjust your enthusiasm accordingly. Don't make it sound like it's all you want to do if only one guy actually practices in that area.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”