How do you know which judges to apply to for an internship? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TLSNYC

Silver

How do you know which judges to apply to for an internship?

Post by TLSNYC » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:55 pm

While it's not my first choice, I'm just wondering how to decide which judges I should be applying to for summer internships, i.e. does ideology matter for judges and, if so, how do I know where they stand? Also, how do I know which judges are more likely to be doing interesting cases, etc.

Sorry if this is a newb question.

Anonymous User

Re: How do you know which judges to apply to for an internship?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:00 pm

I and everyone else I know applied to every federal judge in the geographic location we were interested in working, and knew nothing whatsoever about the judge when applications were sent out.

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I and everyone else I know applied to every federal judge in the geographic location we were interested in working, and knew nothing whatsoever about the judge when applications were sent out.
+1

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:42 pm

never presume that a judge is too good for you ... e.g., I was told that we should not even try applying to COA judges. It would have been so wrong. I had interviews with both COA judges and state court judges. I got offers from both COA judges (almost the same time) and got rejected by all state ct. judges. I got an invitation from a federal judge without an interview.

My 1L grades were far from excellent (even though I finished pretty well).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I and everyone else I know applied to every federal judge in the geographic location we were interested in working, and knew nothing whatsoever about the judge when applications were sent out.
+1 I didn't do this for federal level, but I tried my best to check quickly to see if there was anything I could possibly do to personalize and only found one or two judges that had something on their resumes that I could connect to something I was involved in. I ended up spending the summer working for the one I personalized it for, even though none of the work I did for her related to it, but that might just be luck. I was told that my cover letter was what helped me get the job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”