References for OCI/Callbacks Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

References for OCI/Callbacks

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:41 am

I hadn't given any thought to this until somebody mentioned that I should bring a list of references to OCI to have just in case an interviewer asks for it. How have I missed this? Is this normal? Can somebody give me some more info on this?

Cupidity

Gold

Re: References for OCI/Callbacks

Post by Cupidity » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:I hadn't given any thought to this until somebody mentioned that I should bring a list of references to OCI to have just in case an interviewer asks for it. How have I missed this? Is this normal? Can somebody give me some more info on this?
+1

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:59 am

Yes, you should have a few copies with you. No, you probably won't need them any of them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:00 am

spondee wrote:Yes, you should have a few copies with you. No, you probably won't need them any of them.
How many references should be on my list?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
spondee wrote:Yes, you should have a few copies with you. No, you probably won't need them any of them.
I had 8 of my 22 OCI interviews request a list of references; almost all of them asked for 3, at least two of which are law professors. HTH.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I had 8 of my 22 OCI interviews request a list of references; almost all of them asked for 3, at least two of which are law professors. HTH.
:shock:

Was this something that they specified beforehand or did they just ask for it at the interview?

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote: I had 8 of my 22 OCI interviews request a list of references; almost all of them asked for 3, at least two of which are law professors. HTH.
I had a different experience - of my 25 interviews, none asked for references. I think it depends where you're interviewing - it seems that big New York firms tend not to ask for references, whereas firms in other markets may be more likely to do so (especially if the market is small enough that the partners may know some people's references). If I remember correctly, Covington always asks for references, in case you're interviewing with them.

But regardless of where you're interviewing, yes, you should have references, and there should be three of them. A normal lineup is (1) legal writing instructor, (2) small section professor, and (3) former boss.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:14 pm

sorry to bump an ancient thread, but...

i was let go early from my 1L summer internship. suffice it to say that the reasons were beyond strange but not scandalous or anything, just involving work and communication. on the one hand, i want to leave those guys off my references so they won't be called, but on the other, i did do plenty of good work there, the job was for my 1L summer and features prominently on my resume, and the experience is relevant to jobs i'm applying to for 2L summer. any suggestions?

goaheadualright

New

Post by goaheadualright » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:sorry to bump an ancient thread, but...

i was let go early from my 1L summer internship. suffice it to say that the reasons were beyond strange but not scandalous or anything, just involving work and communication. on the one hand, i want to leave those guys off my references so they won't be called, but on the other, i did do plenty of good work there, the job was for my 1L summer and features prominently on my resume, and the experience is relevant to jobs i'm applying to for 2L summer. any suggestions?
details what you mean by communication....? why don't you talk to your OCS counselor or somebody more equipped to deal with this. or ask your employer if you can list them as a reference (which you should do anyway if you're going to) and see how they react

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”