Preparing for "Do you have any other questions for me?" Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TaipeiMort

Silver

Preparing for "Do you have any other questions for me?"

Post by TaipeiMort » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:33 pm

We will all get this question in an interview. What are the best questions to ask back?

Is am worried looking weird asking too specific of questions and looking like a stalker:
"I saw on Lexis that you litigated _ case for _, are cases for these types of clients pretty common at the firm,"

Conversely, I also don't want to look stupid by asking too broad, or obvious of a question:

"What are the main types of transactional work you guys do?"

Thoughts and good questions to ask would be great.

areyouinsane

Bronze

Re: Preparing for "Do you have any other questions for me?"

Post by areyouinsane » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:06 pm

"Can I work in a room with a light?"

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:16 pm

areyouinsane wrote:"Can I work in a room with a light?"
Welcome back.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:35 pm

"How often do you find yourself working outside your practice group?"

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:56 pm

If it has been a full interview, then it is ok to say, not at this time, I think you've covered all the questions I came in with.

If there is a good amount of time left, the best questions are actually ones that continue the conversation. In other words, follow up on what you've already discussed or ask questions about your interviewer's personal experience.

If you have an interviewer who has punted or just hasn't been interested, then you might as well jump in with both feet and ask questions about the practice area you are interested in, how assignments are given out, how your interviewer found their practice group, what are some of the aspects of the firm that the interviewer has enjoyed most, etc.

Preparing cheat sheet for each firm can be helpful. Figure out for each firm what their primary practice areas are, what buzz words they use in their promotional lit, what the background and practice area of your interviewer is, etc. You can usually come up with relevant questions off of this information. If you have back to back interviews, you can carry either a leather portfolio or even a briefcase to keep the info in. Go over it before you go into the interview, but tuck it safely away before you step into the interview room.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”