Interviewing w/ magistrate judge Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
picardy third

New

Interviewing w/ magistrate judge

Post by picardy third » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:34 pm

So, I have an internship interview coming up with a magistrate judge (non-federal), and don't want to sound totally clueless. From what I've found, the judge does non-jury trials and is on the "Civil 2" calendar, which means everything that isn't a complex case (e.g. mass torts) or a small claims case. I'm not sure what "everything else" really entails, aside from what I hope is an opportunity to learn a ton about civil litigation. Is there anyone who's worked in a similar-sounding position who would like to share a little about their experience? Thanks!

Cupidity

Gold

Re: Interviewing w/ magistrate judge

Post by Cupidity » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:54 pm

Tons of criminal plea hearings, and a handful of civil forfeitures. Enjoy writing RORs.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:24 pm

Cupidity wrote:Enjoy writing RORs.

picardy third

New

Post by picardy third » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:10 pm

Cupidity wrote:Tons of criminal plea hearings, and a handful of civil forfeitures. Enjoy writing RORs.
Um, civil calendar? (Not expecting any criminal plea hearings.)

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:14 pm

picardy third wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Tons of criminal plea hearings, and a handful of civil forfeitures. Enjoy writing RORs.
Never heard of magistrate not doing criminal plea hearings before, regardless of the calendar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

picardy third

New

Post by picardy third » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:21 pm

Cupidity wrote:
picardy third wrote:
Never heard of magistrate not doing criminal plea hearings before, regardless of the calendar.
Oh, I must not know how it works then--I assumed civil meant only civil cases would be there? Explain please? Now it occurs to me I don't know what the calendar is.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:32 pm

You've got the definition of Civil 2 essentially right, it is for run of the mill civil cases, mostly employment discrimination, subrogation, a few diversity contract breaches, scheduled to resolve in the standard 24 months. But likely means those are the type of civil cases he hears, and doesn't mean that he won't have criminal responsibilities since all federal court judges are generalists by trade. Working for a magistrate is an excellent experience, their interns typically spend a lot of time working on evidence issues and writing RORs. Working in a Court is an amazing experience, and most judges will generally let you work on what interests you, and float around the court a couple days a week watching hearings.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”