Strike out at DA? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
funstuff

New

Strike out at DA?

Post by funstuff » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:12 pm

From what I've picked up on TLS, in order to get a position with the DA you need to have internships with the DA or some other government litigation to have a chance at being hired. What happens then if you don't get hired and just have internships with the government on your resume after graduating college? Any chance at private practice in any field?

funstuff

New

Re: Strike out at DA?

Post by funstuff » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:33 pm

bump

gavinstevens

Bronze

Post by gavinstevens » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:34 pm

Also interested...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Assuming you're talking about pre-law school WE, it's definitely not required. My local DA's office starts out recruiting 1Ls, then you go back for 2L summer, and so on and so forth. You just have to be able to spin a good reason for wanting to do PI, and DA's take pretty big summer classes.

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:24 pm

You will obviously not be able to work in Biglaw but you will not be prevented from working in any private practice. It's not like private and public are two mutually exclusive realms of law. You will have developed skills that will be useful in any job, especially in litigation.

BTW if you are talking about internships you did before law school, no one cares about those.

funstuff

New

Post by funstuff » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:27 pm

I meant internships during 1L and 2L. From what I've heard you need to do internships during these years to be even considered for DA, but that an internship =/= a future job necessarily. So, if you don't get a job and all you have on your resume is internships with the DA over the summer, what can you go into? I thought it was very difficult to get a job after 3L if you don't already have an in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”