Dow is down 400 points Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SilverE2

Silver

Re: Dow is down 400 points

Post by SilverE2 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:17 pm

areyouinsane wrote:Bottom line is that this country's best days are behind it. Rather than law school, it'd be a swell idea to learn practical skills like carpentry, raising food, marksmanship, basic auto repair/mechanical skills, etc.

The disputes of the future will be settled with small arms and fists, not bales of cut n' pasted shitpaper "complaints."
Lol, what? So we're going to devolve into a third world country because our best days are behind us?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:With all these 100% offer rates being reported, what are the odds of offers being rescinded? Start dates moved back at the very least?
Firms will likely defer unless the economy totally tanks ala 2008.

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:20 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
areyouinsane wrote:Bottom line is that this country's best days are behind it. Rather than law school, it'd be a swell idea to learn practical skills like carpentry, raising food, marksmanship, basic auto repair/mechanical skills, etc.

The disputes of the future will be settled with small arms and fists, not bales of cut n' pasted shitpaper "complaints."
Lol, what? So we're going to devolve into a third world country because our best days are behind us?
There are a vast number of successful people in countries where this is the case; people, and industries as well, at worst we will contract our economy, become smaller and more efficient, and everyone that thinks Walking Dead is imminent will probably be butthurt.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:27 pm

I don't know if you guys saw this: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/04/busin ... _LO_MST_FB

America: The new Saudi Arabia

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Could you elucidate further on that point? There wasn't a comparison to Saudi Arabia in that article. In fact, i didn't think there was anything overtly negative in that article. It's great that the upper crust are spending. That's one of the few things that might pump up the economy for sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:53 pm

billyez wrote:Could you elucidate further on that point?
Where oh where is the philosoraptor when you need him!?!?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:54 pm

billyez wrote:Could you elucidate further on that point? There wasn't a comparison to Saudi Arabia in that article. In fact, i didn't think there was anything overtly negative in that article. It's great that the upper crust are spending. That's one of the few things that might pump up the economy for sure.
Rich getting richer, poor getting poorer. Percentage of wealth owned by the rich in the United States is near a record high at the moment, comparable to the late 1800s. Maybe not bad news for those of us who land biglaw jobs, but bad news for the economy of the country as a whole (and in the long run stuff like this hurts everyone, just ask the Detroit suburbs).

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:56 pm

I think this is just a sign that we will never see legal hiring like there was in 2006-2007 ever again. I don't think things will be too different from last year.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:57 pm

B.Web wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:

There are a vast number of successful people in countries where this is the case; people, and industries as well, at worst we will contract our economy, become smaller and more efficient, and everyone that thinks Walking Dead is imminent will probably be butthurt.
Walking Dead? I hope so. Life would be a lot easier, plus I own guns.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:59 pm

billyez wrote:Could you elucidate further on that point? There wasn't a comparison to Saudi Arabia in that article. In fact, i didn't think there was anything overtly negative in that article. It's great that the upper crust are spending. That's one of the few things that might pump up the economy for sure.
I'm guessing the broader concern is that America's middle class has been hollowed out and what's left is a few extremely wealthy people and a lot of poor people.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:59 pm

areyouinsane wrote:The disputes of the future will be settled with small arms and fists
I've been advocating for this for years.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:With all these 100% offer rates being reported, what are the odds of offers being rescinded? Start dates moved back at the very least?
Nothing has really happened yet, I don't think firms are going to shit the bed and pull offers on a whim.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:03 pm

beach_terror wrote:Nothing has really happened yet

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:03 pm

Wtf is this shit?

Here, go argue in a place you can't abuse anon: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&t=162459

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Legal Employment”