Dow is down 400 points Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Dow is down 400 points

Post by romothesavior » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:10 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:It is time for the correction to finally begin... which they should have let happen 3 years ago.
Please explain what the "correction" is.
Still waiting for this, Morgan.

expungemalice

New

Post by expungemalice » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:12 pm

i believe hes referring to the market correction

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:14 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:Obviously a drop in dow =/= drop in legal hiring but lets get real here. This isn't one drop. It's 8/9 days down with bad economic indicators. Legal hiring is not always rational either. When managing partners in NY see these declines in the stock market and the massive destruction of wealth (some of it their own), I promise you they aren't thinking rationally.

The economy is terrible.

1) Official unemployment is at ~9%, but if you look at the actual unemployment including underemployed and people who have just plain given up, it is much closer to 20%.

2) Spending Power. Where is the future spending power coming from? The vast majority of college graduates are underemployed compared to their debt and many are even facing negative amoritzation with their student loans. The student debt burdens are almost acting as a mortgage for a huge amount of our generation which will severely hamper their present and future spending power.

3) Today we passed 100% of our annual GDP in national debt. The annual interest payments on it aren't getting any smaller...
How many of these things are things we didn't know months ago? Law firm hiring partners might not have, but the bankers certainly did and they've been proceeding at the current pace knowing that information.

To see a real crash in hiring we need to know some information that we don't already. When the market crashed last time it was because Lehman and Bear went down and nobody had any idea the big impact it would have on the rest of Wall Street. There is no shoe dropping yet, just drops in investor confidence.

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:18 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:Obviously a drop in dow =/= drop in legal hiring but lets get real here. This isn't one drop. It's 8/9 days down with bad economic indicators. Legal hiring is not always rational either. When managing partners in NY see these declines in the stock market and the massive destruction of wealth (some of it their own), I promise you they aren't thinking rationally.
Obviously. Did the managing partners tell you this themselves?

Morgan12Oak wrote:
The economy is terrible.
Oh, rly?

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:22 pm

Well, the correction I'm referring to is the fact that something has to give in the economy and how the correction occurs is largely dependent on government policy. At the same time there are serious questions about how we are going to create jobs and reduce unemployment. It's not so simple anymore to do so. In the 40's it was relatively easy because you would need hard labor to increase and generate more productivity. But, in our day and age companies are so scalable on such an amazing magnitude that one additional job can handle a much larger boost in productivity. Therefore, our country can still achieve the same economic growth with a significantly less boost in employment. There's the obvious problem there of how do we help those who are left out of that equation. This is exacerbated by the fact that a significant amount of our economic growth is in the tech industries and web 2.0 where 100 people can have a multi-billion dollar company. In the past, this was unachievable simply because value had to be deriven in large part from actual labor rather. For example:

If we continue on the current path of adding another 7-8 trillion (but hey, it would have been 9-10 if we didn't pass the "spending cut bill" right?) onto our national debt over the next decade then we're going to see a massive increase in taxes and/or just a firesale of all the entitlement programs.

If we cut spending now the way we would need to or raise taxes now in order to create a "balanced budget", there's going to be those obvious effects as well.

Continuing below:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:25 pm

Now is the time to buy. Wish I had the money to invest...

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:26 pm

Sorry, don't know why it cut me off. But, there's also significant worries in the housing sector as well. A lot of people are still in homes they cannot and never could have afforded. HAMP was a failure of rather epic proportions and I believe as an end result only modified maybe half a million mortgages. And I think there still remains a question about the banks balance sheets.

In any event, the money printedin the past few years will surely cause inflation, but as someone aluded to in the past, this would actually probably be a boon to a significant amount of our country.

Since most of you don't seem to care or just reject my opinions without interjecting much of your own, I'll just stop there.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:27 pm

billyez wrote:Now is the time to buy. Wish I had the money to invest...
Yeah, the perfect time to buy is when all the major news websites have in large red font: "BREAKING NEWS, STOCKS PLUMMETING AMONG MAJOR GLOBAL ECONOMIC FEARS".

There's going to be a shit storm tomorrow.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:32 pm

NYC Law wrote:
billyez wrote:Now is the time to buy. Wish I had the money to invest...
Yeah, the perfect time to buy is when all the major news websites have in large red font: "BREAKING NEWS, STOCKS PLUMMETING AMONG MAJOR GLOBAL ECONOMIC FEARS".
Correct.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:38 pm

If a reduction in government spending is supposed to be a boom for the private sector...

WHY THE HELL IS THE PRIVATE SECTOR BEING SO DICKISH THIS WEEK?

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:38 pm

NYC Law wrote:
billyez wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that prime time to buy?

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:38 pm

Market is down 10%+ over the last two weeks.

Bummer.

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:39 pm

theantiscalia wrote:If a reduction in government spending is supposed to be a boom for the private sector...

A reduction of an increase is still an increase.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:41 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:
theantiscalia wrote:If a reduction in government spending is supposed to be a boom for the private sector...

A reduction of an increase is still an increase.
But the increase was already factored into the market, and the reduction of the increase isn't.

Your explanation sucked. Try again.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Welcome to another legal hiring crash.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:42 pm

Right now, federal government spending is hardwired into the economy at almost every level and cuts to that spending are going to be a problem in the short-term. What we need is a job-creating stimulus.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:43 pm

maxm2764 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:

Not RIGHT now, because things are probably going to get worse before they get better. Maybe in like a week. I just don't think this has bottomed out yet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:43 pm

Ugh, should have written on to bankruptcy journal.

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:44 pm

A lot of people wanted a much more drastic cut in spending than what we got. Virtually everyone wanted a much more definitive move also instead of "lets do this now and create a committee to do that in the future". It's like a 5-4 opinion versus a 9-0.

Certainty > Uncertainty for financial markets even if the uncertain scenario has the slight potential to be better. I also see no reason for you to try to be an internet tough guy

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:46 pm

NYC Law wrote:
maxm2764 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:

Not RIGHT now, because things are probably going to get worse before they get better. Maybe in like a week. I just don't think this has bottomed out yet.
Gotcha. That makes sense.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:52 pm

I want to pour money into GE. A whole boatload of money, in fact.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

expungemalice

New

Post by expungemalice » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:54 pm

you do have your loan money you could invest. may be a better return on investment anyways.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:58 pm

expungemalice wrote:you do have your loan money you could invest. may be a better return on investment anyways.
:lol: :lol: Nah, all I have is the leftover from my bar stipend, and that has to last me until the end of the month until I start seeing paychecks. No more loans for me, though the interest keeps kicking me in the teeth to the tune of $50 a day;)

areyouinsane

Bronze

Post by areyouinsane » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:06 pm

Bottom line is that this country's best days are behind it. Rather than law school, it'd be a swell idea to learn practical skills like carpentry, raising food, marksmanship, basic auto repair/mechanical skills, etc.

The disputes of the future will be settled with small arms and fists, not bales of cut n' pasted shitpaper "complaints."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:16 pm

With all these 100% offer rates being reported, what are the odds of offers being rescinded? Start dates moved back at the very least?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”