Sporting A Goatee For Interviews? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
firemed

Silver

Re: Sporting A Goatee For Interviews?

Post by firemed » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This is definitely a more significant concern to me than the beard. I know a former associate at Cravath. He worked in M&A for 5 years before getting shafted there. He definitely put in long hours saturday night and sunday, but when Friday night rolled around, he was completely unavailable. As a caveat, he's got his own practice now, and appears to be doing fine with a few big clients.

Well, I guess put in the time in Biglaw to get experience and pay off the loans and then start your own firm is the TCR for that. It would be almost impossible to prove religious discrimination I would think.

It is a shame too, since keeping shabbat is so good for you- I would think it would help you work harder the rest of the time to get a scheduled rest period. I know that for me having a scheduled day off (when my employment didn't eff it up), in which I had to chill, made a huge difference in my mental health.

Oh well.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:50 pm

I really dont see what the big deal is as long as its well groomed.

Bramwell

New

Post by Bramwell » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:15 am

For anyone worried about the beard thing, check out this Partner's beard: http://www.cliffordchance.com/about_us/ ... elber.html

He will be interviewing for clifford chance at CLS EIP this Thursday.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:40 am

Bramwell wrote:For anyone worried about the beard thing, check out this Partner's beard: http://www.cliffordchance.com/about_us/ ... elber.html

He will be interviewing for Clifford Chance at CLS EIP this Thursday.

I think he has an orthodox skullcap on too though doesn't he? So it probably a religious dress issue... But that is some beard!

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:42 am

Look at this partner:

--LinkRemoved--

O.k. so maybe he's not a partner, but OP consider that look if you ditch the goatee...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:58 am

JazzOne wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Just me (okay, maybe not just me), but I would instantly be very biased against anybody who comes into a biglaw interview sporting a goatee. You would already be working way against the tide and unless you're on law review at a top 5 school and bursting at the seams with blinding social magnetism, charisma, and wit, you probably wouldn't get the job.
+1

Shave for the interview. Even in Austin, we don't wear facial hair to biglaw interviews. lol

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:03 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:I'm kind of shy, so I sometimes worry about my ability to interview well. Then I come on here and read about grown ass men that think they look good in goatees and I feel much better.

Goatees are horrible. I guarantee you you cannot find one attractive person with a goatee (except possibly johnny dep).
I guess this means that all black men with goatees are unattractive. Will Smith, Djimon Hounsou, Shemar Moore, and Morris Chestnut are all black men who sport facial hair. Each one OBLITERATES Johnny Depp.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:14 am

Look. In the end either you look better with a goatee, or you don't. Personally, I am keeping mine unless I interview for JAG (where it is prohibited), because I think I look better with one. This will make me more confident. Being low confidence will blow an interview quicker than facial hair in my opinion.

If you feel confident without facial hair, that is probably the way to go... if you are like me, it might be worth it to keep it.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:19 am

firemed wrote:Look. In the end either you look better with a goatee, or you don't. Personally, I am keeping mine unless I interview for JAG (where it is prohibited), because I think I look better with one. This will make me more confident. Being low confidence will blow an interview quicker than facial hair in my opinion.

If you feel confident without facial hair, that is probably the way to go... if you are like me, it might be worth it to keep it.
It is not prohibited for a JAG interview, it is just prohibited if you get the job. They don't expect your haircut to already be within military regulations, they realize you can cut that before you start.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:54 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:I'm kind of shy, so I sometimes worry about my ability to interview well. Then I come on here and read about grown ass men that think they look good in goatees and I feel much better.

Goatees are horrible. I guarantee you you cannot find one attractive person with a goatee (except possibly johnny dep).
I guess this means that all black men with goatees are unattractive. Will Smith, Djimon Hounsou, Shemar Moore, and Morris Chestnut are all black men who sport facial hair. Each one OBLITERATES Johnny Depp.

This as already been addressed in the thread. Look back a couple of pages. He has conceded to the fact that this applies primarily to white men.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Bosque wrote:
firemed wrote:Look. In the end either you look better with a goatee, or you don't. Personally, I am keeping mine unless I interview for JAG (where it is prohibited), because I think I look better with one. This will make me more confident. Being low confidence will blow an interview quicker than facial hair in my opinion.

It is not prohibited for a JAG interview, it is just prohibited if you get the job. They don't expect your haircut to already be within military regulations, they realize you can cut that before you start.

Yeah, but when I interviewed with the fire department I made the right choice by shaving- my chief hates facial hair. I have noticed that military and paramilitary organizations tend to promote and hire individuals who conform to regs during the interview... I am guessing because they know you won't cause trouble for them about it.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:13 pm

firemed wrote:
Bosque wrote:

Yeah, but when I interviewed with the fire department I made the right choice by shaving- my chief hates facial hair. I have noticed that military and paramilitary organizations tend to promote and hire individuals who conform to regs during the interview... I am guessing because they know you won't cause trouble for them about it.
I'd say make sure your hair is conservative, but there is no reason to run out and get a high and tight. I did all my Academy interviews with longer hair (not long hair, but long for the military) and I still got in (ended up not going, but that is a different story). I'd say they want to make sure you are not going to be a trouble maker and that you are willing to comply with the regulations. If you cannot convey that without a hair cut, I'd say you have some more serious problems.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with being in regulation for the interview. I just mean to point out that it is not necessary.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”