Sporting A Goatee For Interviews? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Re: Sporting A Goatee For Interviews?

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:55 pm

I'm kind of shy, so I sometimes worry about my ability to interview well. Then I come on here and read about grown ass men that think they look good in goatees and I feel much better.

Goatees are horrible. I guarantee you you cannot find one attractive person with a goatee (except possibly johnny dep).
Last edited by Nicholasnickynic on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:56 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Just me (okay, maybe not just me), but I would instantly be very biased against anybody who comes into a biglaw interview sporting a goatee. You would already be working way against the tide and unless you're on law review at a top 5 school and bursting at the seams with blinding social magnetism, charisma, and wit, you probably wouldn't get the job.
+1

Shave for the interview. Even in Austin, we don't wear facial hair to biglaw interviews. lol
I am a clean-shaven guy, but I am shocked by the skew of this thread towards no-goatee for interviews.

As long is the thing is neat and trim, who cares? Many prominent people have facial hair of all kinds.
I have also seen biglaw partners with a wide spread collar, pin-striped suit, thick power tie, french cuffs, and expensive-looking cuff links. Doesn't mean you show up in an interview like that. I have had biglaw partners constantly dropping swear words (not angrily, lulz) during interviews. Doesn't mean that you go into your screeners and drop "shit" or "bastard" into every other sentence. I'm too lazy to research this, but are there really any prominent lawyers (especially litigators) out there sporting goatees?
I just never thought of a boring ol' goatee as in the risque category. I guess the consensus here is that I'm wrong.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:57 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:I'm kind of shy, so I sometimes worry about my ability to interview well. Then I come on here and read about grown ass men that think they look good in goatees and I feel much better.

Goatees are horrible. I guarantee you you cannot find one attractive person with a goatee (except possibly johnny dep). I await your images.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:59 pm

In all seriousness, is it true that black lawyers can get away with it? Not to be racist, but I think in general I think black guys can rock a goatee better than white guys.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:00 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:I'm kind of shy, so I sometimes worry about my ability to interview well. Then I come on here and read about grown ass men that think they look good in goatees and I feel much better.

Goatees are horrible. I guarantee you you cannot find one attractive person with a goatee (except possibly johnny dep). I await your images.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he looks attractive in spite of his goatee, not because of it.
Ladies? Opinions?

On white people (forgot to mention that on first post) facial hair, at best, doesn't hurt. No one ever looks better from facial hair- especially goatees.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:01 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:The answer to whether or not you should sport a goatee, no matter what the situation is for, is undoubtedly no.
TCR

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:02 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:In all seriousness, is it true that black lawyers can get away with it? Not to be racist, but I think in general I think black guys can rock a goatee better than white guys.
Not in every case (RIP Michael)

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:03 pm

Kretzy wrote: OP, goatees are the jean shorts of the beard family (at least it's not a chinstrap or a flavor-saver). There's a risk it adversely affects you. If you have great grades from a great school, where what you want on your face. If you're at all risk-averse, shave.
Awesome.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:04 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:In all seriousness, is it true that black lawyers can get away with it? Not to be racist, but I think in general I think black guys can rock a goatee better than white guys.
Not in every case (RIP Michael)

Not in every case?

Are saying that michael, as a black man, cannot rock a goatee?
OR
that michael, as a white man, can rock a goatee.

CLARIFY PLEASE

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:04 pm

Getting rid of it will never hurt. I mean if it looks damn good don't get rid of it, but I don't think you would be asking about it if you were 100% confident.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:06 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he looks attractive in spite of his goatee, not because of it.
Ladies? Opinions?

On white people (forgot to mention that on first post) facial hair, at best, doesn't hurt. No one ever looks better from facial hair- especially goatees.
I hate goatees, but I actually think he looks more handsome because of it. Thanks for broadening my mind :D .

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:06 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Ladies? Opinions?

I hate goatees, but I actually think he looks more handsome because of it. Thanks for broadening my mind :D .
He's got a really boyish face, so I think this is one limited case where it helps.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:08 pm

Corwin wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Ladies? Opinions?

He's got a really boyish face, so I think this is one limited case where it helps.
So do I . . . 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:09 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Ladies? GAYS? Opinions?

FTFY. Leo is hot. The goatee doesn't hurt him, but it doesn't help.

I will say, I used to have a "no goatee" rule at bars. Gays with goatees tend to be weird folk.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:09 pm

I think black guys could probably get away with it easier than white guys. Just a hunch.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:10 pm

Alright goddammit. That, technically, is not a goatee. A goatee is only the bottom part on the chin. That is a Van D..y..k..e.

Edit - lol at the TLS edit of the last word.
Last edited by kalvano on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:10 pm

Corwin wrote:Getting rid of it will never hurt. I mean if it looks damn good don't get rid of it, but I don't think you would be asking about it if you were 100% confident.

No I think it looks good on me. In fact, I look weird as shit without it. I just wanted some TLS confirmation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:15 pm

Goatees are horrible. I guarantee you you cannot find one attractive white person with a goatee (except possibly johnny dep).
FTFY. I just don't believe this applies to everyone

--ImageRemoved--

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:19 pm

I look about 12 years old if I shave. I also look awful with a full beard.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:24 pm

They're hit or miss. They either look good or look terrible. I've rocked a goatee/ stache combo for years and it's never been a problem. I call it "the tickler."

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:26 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:

Goatees are horrible. I guarantee you you cannot find one attractive white person with a goatee (except possibly johnny dep).
FTFY. I just don't believe this applies to everyone

--ImageRemoved--

Agreed. I definitely officially concede that black men often look damn good in goatees (see: will smith). I stand by original stance regarding white men, however. Well, for the most part.

Maybe its a bit harsh. But I honestly think that 90-99% of the goatee wearing population would look more attractive without goatees. And the women (thank you for your comments!) seem to agree... noting that Leo is a *limited* exception.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:28 pm

leobowski wrote:They're hit or miss. They either look good or look terrible. I've rocked a goatee/ stache combo for years and it's never been a problem. I call it "the tickler."

How would you know if it is a problem?
For all you know, the reason that you are not in a getting major play/in a relationship/engaged/ married is because of your goatee.

(not that I'm any prize myself- far from it :? . I'm just saying- really, how could you know whether it is working for you? Do you have an SO? Do they like it? Do they think that it actively makes you look better?)

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:31 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
leobowski wrote:They're hit or miss. They either look good or look terrible. I've rocked a goatee/ stache combo for years and it's never been a problem. I call it "the tickler."

For all you know, the reason that you are not in a getting major play/in a relationship/engaged/ married is because of your goatee.
Is this supposed to be some kind of personal jab? :lol:

I've been in a happy relationship for a few years now. Don't worry about me homie.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:32 pm

Agreed. I definitely officially concede that black men often look damn good in goatees (see: will smith). I stand by original stance regarding white men, however. Well, for the most part.

Maybe its a bit harsh. But I honestly think that 90-99% of the goatee wearing population would look more attractive without goatees. And the women (thank you for your comments!) seem to agree... noting that Leo is a *limited* exception.
If I had any more arguments against my statement I was going to use this picture as supporting evidence:

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:35 pm

leobowski wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

Is this supposed to be some kind of personal jab? :lol:

I've been in a happy relationship for a few years now. Don't worry about me homie.
just some food for though- I realized it sounded kind of offensive so I tried to temper it with my own biographical information: "I'm no prize." I'm just trying to broaden your mind :D." P.s.- congrats on doing well with your SO. I apologize if it came off too harsh.
Last edited by Nicholasnickynic on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”