Is August too late to mass-mail firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
scared2L

New

Is August too late to mass-mail firms?

Post by scared2L » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:23 am

I was planning to go on vacation this weekend, but after getting "not selected" at OCI this week, I think I need to start mass-mailing firms. Should I cancel my vacation and mass-mail this weekend? Would waiting until next week be too late to mass-mail?

Grizz

Diamond

Re: Is August too late to mass-mail firms?

Post by Grizz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:27 am

Mass mail during vacation.

luthersloan

Bronze

Post by luthersloan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:32 am

You should do it as soon as you can, but honestly I got 3 or 4 interviews from a mailing I did in October. I do not recommend that as my yeild rate was very low.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:50 am

I'd like to see some more discussion on this. I'm at BU and my target is Boston, and I'd really prefer not to work in New York. All Boston firms are at my OCI and results come out in a day or two, and assuming I get a sufficient number to feel comfortable, I'd like to avoid mass-mailing NYC. Can I put this off for a week until I get my OCI bids?

jsarna1

New

Post by jsarna1 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:16 am

I am not sure why y'all wouldn't just go ahead and start mass mailing. The worst thing that happens is you get a rejection. If you miss on your primary market some NYC firm may be your saving grace. Why not have a backup plan?

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:28 am

jsarna1 wrote:I am not sure why y'all wouldn't just go ahead and start mass mailing. The worst thing that happens is you get a rejection. If you miss on your primary market some NYC firm may be your saving grace. Why not have a backup plan?
+1. It's not that hard- just draft a good cover letter with at least two parts that can be tailored to each firm. It will only take a couple of hours, unless you're mailing 50+ firms...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”