Reimbursements - where's the line? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
viking138

Bronze

Reimbursements - where's the line?

Post by viking138 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:06 pm

Very curious about where the line gets drawn on reimbursements during callbacks. Obviously you shouldn't be ordering a lobster dinner on the firm's dime, but what about taking a cab from my apartment to the firm rather than using the subway to avoid looking sweaty? Should I just cough up the $20 roundtrip per firm or is that considered an understandable expense that firms are happy to pay? Just curious about what's considered kosher here.

clintonius

Silver

Re: Reimbursements - where's the line?

Post by clintonius » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:51 pm

From your apartment to the firm, meaning you live in the city where you're interviewing? I don't think they'll reimburse travel expenses in that case. If you need to take a cab rather than the subway that would be a personal expense.

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:04 pm

I don't know about law firms. But Goldman Sachs used to pay me for those expenses too.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:26 pm

viking138 wrote:Very curious about where the line gets drawn on reimbursements during callbacks. Obviously you shouldn't be ordering a lobster dinner on the firm's dime, but what about taking a cab from my apartment to the firm rather than using the subway to avoid looking sweaty? Should I just cough up the $20 roundtrip per firm or is that considered an understandable expense that firms are happy to pay? Just curious about what's considered kosher here.
If your traveling out of the city, the firm should pay for everything you eat to keep you alive and every method of transportation. Keep it reasonable, but also keep in mind nobody cares and your reimbursements will be processed like a decade after your interviews.

Some firms even give you guidance and it's always funny, they'll be like "SPEND LESS THAN $50 ON DINNER" and I'll be like "$50 is my food budget for the quarter."

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:26 pm

take the cab and submit the receipt. It's possible they will reject your receipt, but by the time they've even looked at it, they will long ago have made a decision on whether or not they are giving you an offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:10 pm

Our OCS specifically said that NYC firms will not reimburse anything if you live here. I think you are unlikely to get them to pay for your cab fare, which is a completely discretionary cost. Regardless of whether they look at the substance of your receipts before or after they make a hiring decision, the fact that you live in town and submitted anything for reimbursement would demonstrate poor judgment, IMO.

viking138

Bronze

Post by viking138 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:04 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Our OCS specifically said that NYC firms will not reimburse anything if you live here. I think you are unlikely to get them to pay for your cab fare, which is a completely discretionary cost. Regardless of whether they look at the substance of your receipts before or after they make a hiring decision, the fact that you live in town and submitted anything for reimbursement would demonstrate poor judgment, IMO.
That was my thinking, but I've been to firm events where they encouraged people to submit taxi receipts (of course those were receptions, not interviews). In the event that HR asks about receipts, I just wanted to make sure I shouldn't give any taxi receipts.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:30 am

viking138 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Our OCS specifically said that NYC firms will not reimburse anything if you live here. I think you are unlikely to get them to pay for your cab fare, which is a completely discretionary cost. Regardless of whether they look at the substance of your receipts before or after they make a hiring decision, the fact that you live in town and submitted anything for reimbursement would demonstrate poor judgment, IMO.
That was my thinking, but I've been to firm events where they encouraged people to submit taxi receipts (of course those were receptions, not interviews). In the event that HR asks about receipts, I just wanted to make sure I shouldn't give any taxi receipts.
If you live in NYC and are going to a NYC interview, what receipts would you have for HR? I'm not following this. You should not expect them to pay for you to take a cab to the interview. If you are taken out for lunch or coffee, someone else will pay the bill.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:29 am

sunynp wrote:
viking138 wrote:
If you live in NYC and are going to a NYC interview, what receipts would you have for HR? I'm not following this. You should not expect them to pay for you to take a cab to the interview. If you are taken out for lunch or coffee, someone else will pay the bill.
I think OP's rationale is the following:
I don't want to be/look sweaty at the interview, and I doubt the firm wants that either.
If I didn't live in NYC, the firm would pay for my transportation to the interview, and would not expect me to take the subway.
Is it therefore OK for me to take a cab and ask them to pick up the tab?

Mind you, I don't know the answer to the question, and I'd imagine it varies from firm to firm, but it's definitely not a ridiculous one.

Also, OP, even if you don't submit a receipt, making the investment in yourself by taking a cab is TCR.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

viking138

Bronze

Post by viking138 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:03 am

bgdddymtty wrote:
sunynp wrote:
viking138 wrote:
I think OP's rationale is the following:
I don't want to be/look sweaty at the interview, and I doubt the firm wants that either.
If I didn't live in NYC, the firm would pay for my transportation to the interview, and would not expect me to take the subway.
Is it therefore OK for me to take a cab and ask them to pick up the tab?

Mind you, I don't know the answer to the question, and I'd imagine it varies from firm to firm, but it's definitely not a ridiculous one.

Also, OP, even if you don't submit a receipt, making the investment in yourself by taking a cab is TCR.
Oh, absolutely. I will be taking a cab to the firm regardless of if they reimburse me or not. NYC summers are not conducive to looking professional, especially not when subway platforms tend to be 20 degrees hotter than it is outside.

I'm actually not wondering if it's ok to ask them to pick up the tab -- I would never ask. But if they ask for any expense receipts (this has happened at firm events before), my question is if I should give them the taxi receipts. I'm leaning towards no just to be 100% safe, but figured some people with experience might have different opinions.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:27 pm

viking138 wrote: Oh, absolutely. I will be taking a cab to the firm regardless of if they reimburse me or not. NYC summers are not conducive to looking professional, especially not when subway platforms tend to be 20 degrees hotter than it is outside.

I'm actually not wondering if it's ok to ask them to pick up the tab -- I would never ask. But if they ask for any expense receipts (this has happened at firm events before), my question is if I should give them the taxi receipts. I'm leaning towards no just to be 100% safe, but figured some people with experience might have different opinions.
I think the reason they ask for receipts/offer to reimburse taxis at the firms events is because people are drinking and they want to make sure everyone makes it home safely. an interview is different and I don't think they will be asking for receipts there. but if they do then I stand by my advice to send in the taxi receipt.

ObLaDiObLaDa

New

Post by ObLaDiObLaDa » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:35 pm

I wouldn't do it. The risk/reward ratio is not in your favor and I don't see how taking the chance is worth it. If you submit it, you may get back your cab fair but may make a bad impression on the firm who will wonder why a NYC resident is submitting a receipt. If you don't submit it, you're out for the fare but you haven't jeopardized your chances. Is $40 worth the possibility of hurting your chances? (however small the hurt may be).

There is a very really chance they won't even reimburse you until long after they have made a decision, but I wouldn't chance it.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:34 am

So the consensus is that if you are NOT from NYC and are there for a callback you can take a cab and submit the receipt?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”