ITT: We talk about contract / temp attorneys Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawschoolROCKS22

New

Re: ITT: We talk about contract / temp attorneys

Post by lawschoolROCKS22 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:05 am

Is there any way that we can get areyouinsane un-banned? That guy made this thread awesome. But I guess that he just couldn't resist going back to post in that sweet sweet Rutgers Newark Class of 2014 forum one last time. Any way that the mods could just take away his ability to post on that one part of this site?

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:35 am

sunynp wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
Renne Walker wrote: Why is it relevant for anyone at CCN? Areyouinsane’s harangue is pointed at Seton Hall, and the likes. $3K a week summer jobs (there are plenty of them) are not the material for gloom.
Your delusion is cute. Search the forum for the bloodbath that was Chicago's 2010 OCI. In fact, I'll search for you because that's just the kinda guy I am.

Here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=127861
This thread shows no evidence that Chicago did bad last year in OCI. I honestly haven't polled all of the 2Ls, but I would guess that at least 75% got great jobs. Just because some guy who struck out in the thread says that "it was a bloodbath," doesn't mean it actually was. From what I've heard, just those that were at the median and bid Chicago super heavy (didn't understand that New York was where the most jobs were at) had big problems.
I think they bid Chicago super heavy because they wanted to spend their lives living and working in Chicago. They probably weren't super interested in NYC. I read that the number of SA jobs in Chicago is about a third of what it was before ITE. Before, most of these people would have easily gotten jobs from OCI. I don't think that it was only the kids from median who didn't get jobs through OCI. And since when has being median at Chicago been anything less than a great accomplishment and a stellar credential for your future career? Median at Chicago puts a student very high in the list of all law school graduates. Don't think that the median students at Chicago are not to be respected.

But you are right, it would be nice to know where they ended up for 2L SA.

edit some more quotes from that thread:
mid 178's. 17 interviews, all NY. 0 cb, 1 confirmed rejection. Any hope?
Things really seem to suck in New York for the median crowd. I really hope they are doing waves as well
mid 178's are doing no better in NY. I have heard that DC is just terrible. Although if firms are doing multiple rounds of callbacks who knows
My point is that people from all schools need to be pro-active when searching for 2L SA. I think there are people on this forum who believe this:
Why is it relevant for anyone at CCN? Areyouinsane’s harangue is pointed at Seton Hall, and the likes. $3K a week summer jobs (there are plenty of them) are not the material for gloom.
(bolded for emphasis)
I was sitting in an OCI bidding strategy meeting when this guy (really nice guy btw) raised his hand and completely seriously said "Why would we ever need to use all 50 of our bids, shouldn't we just bid on those we really want?"

Also, as I've said before, there isn't really a "median" at Chicago, it is basically top-15-percent kids, bottom ten-percent kids, and everyone else. I am a little "above median," but I am not dumb enough to think that it means anything to recruiters when I am competing against kids that are slightly "below median." Recruiters know that at a school like Chicago, everything but the highest or lowest grades are highly random.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:57 am

Renne Walker wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Uh yeah I know. I'm talking about your shtick of believing that 3K/wk jobs are a dime a dozen and that a single person who did well at Chicago OCI means that people at CCN have nothing to worry about... it can't be real.
Who said they were a dime a dozen? Pull a minimum T-14 LSAT score, then bring your “A” game to LS―granted OCI is no longer like shooting fish in a barrel, but opening firm doors is not theoretical, they open.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=650
It appears as if nothing has changed. Got absolutely slaughtered. Top 1/4, all NYC. 3 Preselects.

Glad I'm paying 50K a year.
:shock:
good WE, median, 3 preselects, 1 alt.
Nothing's changed for me either. Have 3 firms on the extension list. Here's hoping they're keen on interviewing lots of us.
Top 10%, Law Review: 8 Preselects, 10 alternates at this point.
Top 1/3, bid Primarily DC and NY with a few scattered

Four Preselects
This sounds like a massacre.
3.5 GPA, good work experience. Sent 30 bids to NYC. 1 pre-select. 7 alternates.
Dear 0Ls,

Don't go to UVa.

KTHNX.

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:32 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:(Quotes premature anon freakouts)
Preselects are not done coming in. It very well could turn out to be a bloodbath, but it's way too early to know yet. There are plenty of good reasons to be worried about getting jobs without using half-baked data.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:(Quotes premature anon freakouts)
Preselects are not done coming in. It very well could turn out to be a bloodbath, but it's way too early to know yet. There are plenty of good reasons to be worried about getting jobs without using half-baked data.
Thank you for your insightful reply 0L. Would you like to defend Renee Walker's hopelessly optimistic posts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:12 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:Thank you for your insightful reply 0L.
The fact that I'm a 0L doesn't change the fact that I'm right.
Would you like to defend Renee Walker's hopelessly optimistic posts?
No, I would not. I'm just saying you can combat hopelessly optimistic posts without resorting to premature speculation.

areyouinsane2

New

Post by areyouinsane2 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:26 pm

LOL at this email which I just got a few minutes ago from Peak Counsel:
Hi everyone –

Hope this email finds you well.

We have a project starting on Monday, 8/1/11.

The project will be in our midtown location and should last about 1 week.

We are requiring 50 hrs/week. You are encouraged to work more hours if you like. The review room will be open from 8am to 8pm M-F.

We are searching for attorneys with prior document review experience who are admitted to the bar of any US jurisdiction and are in good standing.

We are also searching for reviewers who are not only accurate but who can generally (on average) review approximately 75 documents per hour.

We pay $30/hour straight time – there is a discretionary bonus available at the end of the project. The bonus is based on individual performance (accuracy and efficiency).

If you are interested and available – please send me an updated resume as soon as possible. Please indicate the following in your email:

1) Are you available to start on Monday @ 9:00am?

2) Can you commit to 50 hrs/week over the course of the project?

3) What is your rate of review (how many documents you review in an hour or in an 8 hour day)?

4) Have you worked for any helicopter company in the past (for or against or in any capacity)?

Please refer to “NY AVIATION” in the subject line.

As I said, the tiny handful of these gigs still in NYC are short term and pay absolute crap. They're also "cracking the whip" and making damn sure you do at least 75 docs an hour, which is over a doc a minute! Also the "bonus" is a joke- I've worked for Peak before and somehow everyone inevitably falls just shy of the goals needed for the "bonus," kind of like the movie GlenGarry, GlenRoss

"We added a little something to this week's document review..."

"A-B-C- Always be Coding!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVQPY4LlbJ4

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:29 pm

areyouinsane2 wrote:LOL at this email which I just got a few minutes ago from Peak Counsel:
*sigh*

Banned for alting, ban evasion.

Seriously, you're going to get yourself permanently banned if you can't follow the regular forum rules.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:30 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
No, I would not. I'm just saying you can combat hopelessly optimistic posts without resorting to premature speculation.
Sure, you can, and that's been done. I added the most current doom and gloom. Bump this thread when you're satisfied that the "premature speculation" has materialized.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:38 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:
Sure, you can, and that's been done. I added the most current doom and gloom. Bump this thread when you're satisfied that the "premature speculation" has materialized.
Oh, don't worry. If the bloodbath materializes, I'll be loud and pissed.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:42 pm

vanwinkle wrote:*sigh*

Seriously, you're going to get yourself permanently banned if you can't follow the regular forum rules.
Dammit.

Seriously, areyouinsane. You got fans here; don't blow it man.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:49 pm

ITT people come out of the woodwork to hop on the areyouinsane bandwagon.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:27 pm

chimp wrote:ITT people come out of the woodwork to hop on the areyouinsane bandwagon.
Don't you have a Pabst Blue Ribbon calling your name somewhere....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:45 pm

bouakedojo wrote:
chimp wrote:ITT people come out of the woodwork to hop on the areyouinsane bandwagon.
He was into sucking the mods' dicks before it was cool.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:50 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
bouakedojo wrote:
He was into sucking the mods' dicks before it was cool.
:lol: :lol:

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:48 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Uh yeah I know. I'm talking about your shtick of believing that 3K/wk jobs are a dime a dozen and that a single person who did well at Chicago OCI means that people at CCN have nothing to worry about... it can't be real.
Who said they were a dime a dozen? Pull a minimum T-14 LSAT score, then bring your “A” game to LS―granted OCI is no longer like shooting fish in a barrel, but opening firm doors is not theoretical, they open.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=650
It appears as if nothing has changed. Got absolutely slaughtered. Top 1/4, all NYC. 3 Preselects.

Glad I'm paying 50K a year.
:shock:
good WE, median, 3 preselects, 1 alt.
Nothing's changed for me either. Have 3 firms on the extension list. Here's hoping they're keen on interviewing lots of us.
Top 10%, Law Review: 8 Preselects, 10 alternates at this point.
Top 1/3, bid Primarily DC and NY with a few scattered

Four Preselects
This sounds like a massacre.
3.5 GPA, good work experience. Sent 30 bids to NYC. 1 pre-select. 7 alternates.
Dear 0Ls,

Don't go to UVa.

KTHNX.
I was going to suggest the UVA thread for additional emphasis. Looks like you beat me to it. Then again, he/she/it will just come back and argue NYU is ranked higher than UVA and all one needs is to bring one's "A game" to the table and everything will fall into place.

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:27 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
I was going to suggest the UVA thread for additional emphasis. Looks like you beat me to it. Then again, he/she/it will just come back and argue NYU is ranked higher than UVA and all one needs is to bring one's "A game" to the table and everything will fall into place.
But dude, flawless plan. Nobody else could possibly be planning to bring their A game.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:33 pm

Heartford wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
But dude, flawless plan. Nobody else could possibly be planning to bring their A game.
UVA n00bs

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:36 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
areyouinsane2 wrote:LOL at this email which I just got a few minutes ago from Peak Counsel:
*sigh*

It's July. Take a vacation.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Verity wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
*sigh*

It's July. Take a vacation.
It's too bad, really. I gave this thread plenty of leeway. Now it gets a vacation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”