ITT: We talk about contract / temp attorneys Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
d34d9823

Gold

Re: ITT: We talk about contract / temp attorneys

Post by d34d9823 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:47 pm

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:50 pm

Old thread is unlocked.Where is areyouinsane?
Last edited by Kilpatrick on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paraflam

Bronze

Post by Paraflam » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:51 pm

VW locked it again.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:52 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:LOL areyouinsane is about to get another ban, check out the R-N Class of 2014 thread...
Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Paraflam

Bronze

Post by Paraflam » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:57 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:LOL areyouinsane is about to get another ban, check out the R-N Class of 2014 thread...
:roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:23 pm

Paraflam wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
:roll:
Lol, he had to be a martyr. Oh well.

lawgod

Bronze

Post by lawgod » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:36 pm

Oh my. I go to work, come home, and the contract/temp thread is closed.
I'm staying home tomorrow.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:25 am

deserved, IMO

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:24 am

Probably very deserved indeed lol. The guy is entertaining as hell, but "headstrong" is a very mild way of describing his TLS tendencies.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:42 am

I guess the ban is deserved simply because only people who are going to attend the school are supposed to post there. But if people are asking how safe the area is, I guess only people who are going to attend are supposed to respond? This gets confusing - can current students post there? I think his last post was at least addressing a topic in that thread.

I hope his other thread he started about practicing torts/personal injury law is useful.

Relevant to this thread: what other kind of contract/temp attorneys are there except for doc review? I know that senior associates can become of counsel so they must have contracts with the firm that are different than just being an employee/associate. Maybe people who are working a special or reduced part-time schedule (which is about 40 hours) What else?

lawschoolROCKS22

New

Post by lawschoolROCKS22 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:22 am

I don't post on this site much. I used it sometimes while applying to law school, used it sometimes during 1L year to get advice on exams and stuff, and use it sometimes now when I'm looking for advice on legal employment. That said, I would like to nominate areyouinsane for best poster this site has ever had. His stories are hilarious and highly relevant for anyone not attending a HYS level law school.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:37 am

lawschoolROCKS22 wrote:I don't post on this site much. I used it sometimes while applying to law school, used it sometimes during 1L year to get advice on exams and stuff, and use it sometimes now when I'm looking for advice on legal employment. That said, I would like to nominate areyouinsane for best poster this site has ever had. His stories are hilarious and highly relevant for anyone not attending a HYS level law school.
LOL yep, I'm sure it's HIGHLY RELEVANT for top 1/3 people at CCN.

lawschoolROCKS22

New

Post by lawschoolROCKS22 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:09 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
lawschoolROCKS22 wrote:I don't post on this site much. I used it sometimes while applying to law school, used it sometimes during 1L year to get advice on exams and stuff, and use it sometimes now when I'm looking for advice on legal employment. That said, I would like to nominate areyouinsane for best poster this site has ever had. His stories are hilarious and highly relevant for anyone not attending a HYS level law school.
Haha, I couldn't have asked you to set me up better, as I'm a rising 3L in the top 1/3 at CCN. I also don't have a job lined up for after graduation or a SA job that's likely to lead to one. Also, the person in charge of clerkships at my school told me that I have virtually no shot at landing a federal clerkship, and I doubt that my grades will cut it for a paying government job. There are no guarantees in life. Even people in the top 10% and on law review can get no offered (through no fault of their own) because a firm realizes that it can increase per partner profits by no offering a large part of their summer class. Areyouinsane presents a hilarious and in-depth look at the depressing world of temping in the legal industry. I just read the entire 21 page post and would classify it as quite possibly the single best thread I've read on an internet message board.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:11 pm

lawschoolROCKS22 wrote:I don't post on this site much.
Where do you usually post, JDU?

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:14 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Why is it relevant for anyone at CCN? Areyouinsane’s harangue is pointed at Seton Hall, and the likes. $3K a week summer jobs (there are plenty of them) are not the material for gloom.
Last edited by Renne Walker on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:14 pm

lawschoolROCKS22 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Haha, I couldn't have asked you to set me up better, as I'm a rising 3L in the top 1/3 at CCN. I also don't have a job lined up for after graduation or a SA job that's likely to lead to one. Also, the person in charge of clerkships at my school told me that I have virtually no shot at landing a federal clerkship, and I doubt that my grades will cut it for a paying government job. There are no guarantees in life. Even people in the top 10% and on law review can get no offered (through no fault of their own) because a firm realizes that it can increase per partner profits by no offering a large part of their summer class. Areyouinsane presents a hilarious and in-depth look at the depressing world of temping in the legal industry. I just read the entire 21 page post and would classify it as quite possibly the single best thread I've read on an internet message board.
Any words of advice for rising 2ls? What happened with your job search?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Renne Walker wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Why is it relevant for anyone at CCN? Areyouinsane’s harangue is pointed at Seton Hall, and the likes.
My post wasn't sarcastic at all...../sarcasm.

If you are in the top 1/3 at CCN and didn't get a job, I'm sorry, but vast majority of people in your situation do get jobs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawschoolROCKS22

New

Post by lawschoolROCKS22 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:28 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Why is it relevant for anyone at CCN? Areyouinsane’s harangue is pointed at Seton Hall, and the likes.
My post wasn't sarcastic at all...../sarcasm.

If you are in the top 1/3 at CCN and didn't get a job, I'm sorry, but vast majority of people in your situation do get jobs.
Yeah, most people in the top 1/3 at CCN do get jobs. To be completely fair, I should probably throw it out there that I didn't bid on New York. I focused on one of the five other largest legal markets (the one that I was from) and got a few callbacks, but the firms that I had callbacks with only hired a few SAs. Also, some people just slip through the cracks. There isn't always a rhyme or a reason for everything. Areyouinsane was in the top quarter of his class at a T50 school. Someone in that position should be able to do well in law. However, he had to do several years hard time in shit law and doc review, and after watching a bunch of my friends from college get shut out of the legal profession with basically the same credentials, I have no reason to doubt him.

To get back on track (since I kind of derailed the thread), I spent two years before law school working as a legal assistant for a major New York Law Firm. I don't personally have any hard feelings against the place, so I won't mention which one, though I will say that it was a "peer" of the firms that areyouinsane mentioned. His description of the doc review dungeons and treatment of temp attorneys pretty much matched what I saw. Even though the temp attorneys had JDs and passed the bar, they were still placed well below us in the firm hierarchy.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Areyouinsane said that he graduated a NYC TT with a 3.1. That doesn't seem like it would place in the top quarter.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:41 pm

Renne Walker wrote: Why is it relevant for anyone at CCN? Areyouinsane’s harangue is pointed at Seton Hall, and the likes. $3K a week summer jobs (there are plenty of them) are not the material for gloom.
Your delusion is cute. Search the forum for the bloodbath that was Chicago's 2010 OCI. In fact, I'll search for you because that's just the kinda guy I am.

Here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=127861

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:59 pm

There were also a number of CCN grads that were Lathamed. I am not sure what has happened to them. I know it was almost impossible for them to find any type of legal employment at the same level as they thought they had achieved. They were basically out of biglaw in NYC anyway.

I wonder where they are now? I know one guy gave up and went to write a legal blog.
Last edited by sunynp on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:08 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
Renne Walker wrote: Why is it relevant for anyone at CCN? Areyouinsane’s harangue is pointed at Seton Hall, and the likes. $3K a week summer jobs (there are plenty of them) are not the material for gloom.
Your delusion is cute. Search the forum for the bloodbath that was Chicago's 2010 OCI. In fact, I'll search for you because that's just the kinda guy I am.

Here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=127861
Oh yeah, right, this seems absolutely horrible. Sorry, I did not read all 23 pages, but after I saw this post I figured best to say, I rest my case.

23 interviews
-19 callbacks
-multiple markets
-top 10%
-9 callbacks accepted
-5 offers, waiting on 4 most recent

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:09 pm

There is no way you are real

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:12 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:There is no way you are real
LOL. I am an OL. . . what I posted was from a Chicago student.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:15 pm

Uh yeah I know. I'm talking about your shtick of believing that 3K/wk jobs are a dime a dozen and that a single person who did well at Chicago OCI means that people at CCN have nothing to worry about... it can't be real.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”