Mass Mail Interview Response Time? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:28 pm

How long has it taken people to hear back from firms after a mass mailing in regards to setting up an interview while you are visiting your home market? Just curious what the time line has generally been for people (I have still yet to hear back from any...)

Anonymous User

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:31 pm

For whatever reason, I heard back from 2 firms within just a few days of sending out the apps. I'd imagine this is very much the exception. Though it depends on the size of the firm. Some big firms get the ball rolling very early, and many smaller firms have no urgency to abide by some set OCI timeframe.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:37 pm

I've sent 30 over the last week. Heard back from one firm in my home market: Hard copy rejection. (They were FAST: I sent the application to them on Sunday, got the letter today. Oh well.) I'm hoping to get more positive responses soon...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For whatever reason, I heard back from 2 firms within just a few days of sending out the apps. I'd imagine this is very much the exception. Though it depends on the size of the firm. Some big firms get the ball rolling very early, and many smaller firms have no urgency to abide by some set OCI timeframe.
Thanks...I've been applying mostly to big and medium firms in a large market. Just sent out my apps recently, but I'm supposed to be home visiting in the next week or so and was hoping to set up some interviews while I am home. I guess all I can do is wait.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:43 pm

Depends on the market's general timetable and the firm's own individual timetable. Also depends on when you sent it.

Example: In my market, larger firms hire faster, though not as fast as NYC firms. Think August and September. Smaller and midsize firms often tend to be later. I sent a midsize firm a resume on the 18th, and they got back to me the 19th... to say they wanted to talk in October.

You could send something now and hear tomorrow, or not for a long time. So yeah, nothing you can do but wait, though I'd suggest following up a couple weeks after you send.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:56 pm

Sent a few things out to NYC firms in early July. Positive response offering interview from a firm on the same day. Same thing from another firm the day after. Same from a different firm today. No negative responses other than silence from the couple of firms that haven't replied. Probably will follow up with them this week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Within 1 week I received an interview at a v100 via a phone call and a ding at a smaller chicago firm via snail mail.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:45 pm

Sent out 5 on monday. V100 got back to me the same day :shock: . NLJ250 firm got back to me today. Got generic thanks for your materials e-mail from the other. Will follow up with those next week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sent out 5 on monday. V100 got back to me the same day :shock: . NLJ250 firm got back to me today. Got generic thanks for your materials e-mail from the other. Will follow up with those next week.
Market? School and GPA range?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:52 pm

Are people only mass mailing firms that are not coming to their school's OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sent out 5 on monday. V100 got back to me the same day :shock: . NLJ250 firm got back to me today. Got generic thanks for your materials e-mail from the other. Will follow up with those next week.
Market? School and GPA range?
Hometown secondary for the two interviews. NYC/Secondary for the generic e-mail response. T2->T10 transfer top of class grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:37 pm

Does anyone have any mass mailing anecdotal evidence from Boies Schiller (NYC/Armonk). They don't come to my T1 OCI, but I have an exceptionally strong application package. I sent my application (cover letter/resume/transcript) last week and haven't heard anything yet. I plan on following up next week if I haven't heard by then.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:04 pm

What's the conventional wisdom on email vs. hard copy?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:08 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:What's the conventional wisdom on email vs. hard copy?
E-mail. Gets to firms faster, plus it makes it easier for the firm to transmit your materials to others.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Somebody should make a dedicated Mass Mail post/thread for questions and results. Look at the Bids Critique thread, that was a great idea, helped funnel everything into one.

Paging thesealocust? "I plan to use the stated firm guidelines on Symplicity to formulate all of my bid choices. I really wish GDC didn't say they preferred a 3.6, because now I can't bid on them with my 3.59."

Did it work?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:36 pm

From my 180 snail mails that I sent out the first week of July, I have received about 30 rejections (mix of email and mail). Most of the fastest rejections came from IP firms, stating that because I had no science BS I did not meet their requirements. Other rejections were based on the firm not being in a financial position to have a SA class next year.

No calls, no offers to interview, yet. Some (15) have said they are considering my application and will get back to me later.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:54 pm

One V100 got back to me in a couple days for an interview. Since then, I've gotten about 7 rejections that usually took around a week to get to me.

since it is anon : median lower T14

edit: yeah i got a bunch of thanks for submitting materials messages about a day or two after i applied to some firms

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From my 180 snail mails that I sent out the first week of July, I have received about 30 rejections (mix of email and mail). Most of the fastest rejections came from IP firms, stating that because I had no science BS I did not meet their requirements. Other rejections were based on the firm not being in a financial position to have a SA class next year.

No calls, no offers to interview, yet. Some (15) have said they are considering my application and will get back to me later.
Yep. This is why I don't bother. Much better to get out, meet lawyers etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:57 pm

How late is too late? I am sending my apps now... feel like i missed the boat.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:57 pm

One V100 called me two weeks after I emailed them to set up an interview. Granted, they were the only home-market firm I applied to.

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:01 pm

btw the way how widely are people applying? I applied to my home market, NYC, and some other places i wouldn't mind living, or are people literally applying everywhere like even Juneau Big law?

Anonymous User wrote:How late is too late? I am sending my apps now... feel like i missed the boat.
start sending out soon, you still have time, just try to beat the OCI's

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:50 am

What's the consensus on applying to different offices of a firm (via mass mail) that you bid on for OCI? Acceptable? Or is it not worth the risk of both recruiters finding out and being turned off by it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:58 am

What is in the proper mailing? Resume/Cover letter? Can I wait for them to request a transcript or should that be included? Writing Sample? References?

thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:What is in the proper mailing? Resume/Cover letter? Can I wait for them to request a transcript or should that be included? Writing Sample? References?

thanks!
Can't hurt to send transcript also. As long as your grades are impressive, you should flash them around as much as possible. Writing sample and references should only be sent if specifically requested.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is in the proper mailing? Resume/Cover letter? Can I wait for them to request a transcript or should that be included? Writing Sample? References?

thanks!
Can't hurt to send transcript also. As long as your grades are impressive, you should flash them around as much as possible. Writing sample and references should only be sent if specifically requested.
..aaaaannd what if youre grades are at the median? and the school median is low - B/B+?

didn't UCLA or someone add .3 to every student's gpa recently? that sure would be helpful right about now..

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”