3L switching firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L switching firms

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:41 am

3L here who is currently at a firm doing a summer gig, but wants to switch to another firm.

question is about scheduling interviews. can i schedule an interview towards the end of my 2L gig while still working there? or is this unclassy/unprofessional. presumably the interviewer would ask if i'm still working there so can't really hide it. the reason i don't want to wait till my 2L gig is over is because i want to interview early before the rush of 3L applicants. there is also the small chance that somehow word will get back to my current firm.

does it really make a difference or should i wait till my summer gig is over.

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: 3L switching firms

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:can i schedule an interview towards the end of my 2L gig while still working there?
Of fucking course not. Jesus.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:3L here who is currently at a firm doing a summer gig, but wants to switch to another firm.

question is about scheduling interviews. can i schedule an interview towards the end of my 2L gig while still working there? or is this unclassy/unprofessional. presumably the interviewer would ask if i'm still working there so can't really hide it. the reason i don't want to wait till my 2L gig is over is because i want to interview early before the rush of 3L applicants. there is also the small chance that somehow word will get back to my current firm.

If you can't even wait the week or so summer is over to start "lateraling" that doesn't really send a good message to an interviewer who may already be wondering why you would want to switch so early in your career.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:01 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3L here who is currently at a firm doing a summer gig, but wants to switch to another firm.

If you can't even wait the week or so summer is over to start "lateraling" that doesn't really send a good message to an interviewer who may already be wondering why you would want to switch so early in your career.
yea that's what i was afraid of. i only asked because my summer ends later than most other firms so didn't want to be behind other applicants.

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:12 pm

What is it that is compelling you to leave your current firm?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:18 pm

I don't think it's so black and white.

For example, my firm (1) doesn't make offers until October/November and (2) doesn't offer every SA a position. I plan to let them know that I will be interviewing until they make me an offer (that includes missing some time for OCI). I already committed my summer to them and now I need a commitment from them before I miss OCI.

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:19 am

Why would you let them know that?

A better idea is to be frank with them and tell them that you really like working there, and you feel its a great fit for you and you have a lot to offer, but with the economy the way it is you want to be sure that they will employ you after the summer is over. Ask them what you can do to improve your chances for that. And then interview with other firms without telling them. I don't know why you would tell them something like that unless you wanted to 100% kill your chances of staying there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”