Sample Email to Alumni - before OCI / mass mail Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Sample Email to Alumni - before OCI / mass mail

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:40 am

Does any one have any input or a sample of what type of email should be sent to alumni either prior to OCI or in connection with a mass mailing. I've read on here it is very effective and can get your resume moved up. I am unsure of what I should really include in the email. Attach resume?

anonymcoffee

Bronze

Re: Sample Email to Alumni - before OCI / mass mail

Post by anonymcoffee » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:10 am

i'm interested in this too. Is this done? How early should you send the email before you send the mass mail?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:17 am

When sending out one of these alumni emails, is it too forward to straight up ask for an interview in an email? Seems like it might be more fruitful than random mass mailing.

Marley

New

Post by Marley » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:25 am

Put yourself in their position. A random undergrad e-mails you because they want you to put in a good word w/ the admissions office. What could they say that would actually get your attention/you to like them? Probably if they played up a personal connection to you, knew something about you, and relayed a genuine interest in the school. Maybe asking a few specific questions, or offering a time to chat by phone/meet for coffee. Don't give off desperate/needy/entitled vibes, and don't cut to the chase too quickly. If you don't feel like a genuine connection can be made to them, you're probably better off just sending your materials to the recruiter.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does any one have any input or a sample of what type of email should be sent to alumni either prior to OCI or in connection with a mass mailing. I've read on here it is very effective and can get your resume moved up. I am unsure of what I should really include in the email. Attach resume?
Look up their bio online. If they are high enough in a firm, there will be one. If you can relate or find something you like in there, tell them that you are interested in their work and would love to meet to ask about practicing in their area of law, location, or both. If they get back to you, schedule a meeting time. Once you meet, talk about their work, let them say a lot and make them feel good. The person probably works a lot and might forget how good they are at what they do, and it always feels good to have someone reach out with interest. After they are done, you may still be interested. If you are, tell them their talk boosted your interest and ask if there is anything further you can do to make sure your application gets a good look over. If they like you, they will say "send me your resume," and forward it to recruiting with a "flag this" message.

That is how it works. Each step in that process works about 1 in 10 times and there are several steps. Keep that in mind. Also, notice that I only dealt with each step in the positive; namely, I only say what happens if your effort worked. What do you do if one of those steps doesn't work? Start over. Send several a day. Keep doing it until you get a job either like this or by some other means. After you do, you'll notice things will keep coming in from the back log you built up. Keep in contact with those people as well because they can help you in the future, or you may be able to help them.

Good luck

Here is an example of one I sent that got me an interview. It was not canned, mailed merged, or anything like that. I actually am interested in what this partner does and I think it came through because something came of it.

Dear Partner X,

I read your bio on the Name and Ampersand LLP website and am very interested in what you do in the _____ practice, particularly your involvement with Y. Before entering law school in 20__, I was a Y through the ____ program. Currently, I am a rising 2L at XYZ School of Law, but I grew up near your firm, and earned both my B.A. and M.Ed. from XYZ-Nearby University. My goal is to settle down in that area, where I hope to practice ____ law. After my current summer internship ends, I will be returning to the area in early August to visit family and would love to talk with you about practicing ____ law in XYZ Area/City. My resume is attached in case you would like to know a little more about my background. If talking with you during my visit would be at all possible, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

-Some Random Rising 2L
Last edited by Mattalones on Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:When sending out one of these alumni emails, is it too forward to straight up ask for an interview in an email? Seems like it might be more fruitful than random mass mailing.
Thats an absolutely awful idea. You should approach it with the overt mindset of making connections, having friendly conversation, inquiring about their experiences, etc. You never straight up ask for interviews or anything like that. Once you become a bit more friendly, the person may offer to put in a good word or put you in touch with someone, but you NEVER push it with them or force the matter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:55 pm

Also, don't give up hope if you don't get responses. I've sent out about 20 e-mails so far to alumni. I've only gotten one response (V100), but the one response was really enthusiastic. He responded in 10 minutes, and I was invited to go to his office to talk to him for 30 min, and he said he'd introduce me to everyone in the office too. Keep on e-mailing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:06 pm

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:22 pm

dakatz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When sending out one of these alumni emails, is it too forward to straight up ask for an interview in an email? Seems like it might be more fruitful than random mass mailing.
Thats an absolutely awful idea. You should approach it with the overt mindset of making connections, having friendly conversation, inquiring about their experiences, etc. You never straight up ask for interviews or anything like that. Once you become a bit more friendly, the person may offer to put in a good word or put you in touch with someone, but you NEVER push it with them or force the matter.
This.

IMO, your best bet is to ask to have coffee or something. Don't come off like you're looking for a job (although obviously you are, and they know it). You want to just try to come off as genuinely interested in making a connection, learning about them, and learning about their firm.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:41 pm

romothesavior wrote:
dakatz wrote:
This.

IMO, your best bet is to ask to have coffee or something. Don't come off like you're looking for a job (although obviously you are, and they know it). You want to just try to come off as genuinely interested in making a connection, learning about them, and learning about their firm.
Exactly. Networking to try and get a job is called "begging" and that never works. Networking to gain friends and mentors almost always works, and sometimes those friends and mentors will eventually be in a position to help you get a job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”