Drinking before screening interview... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Drinking before screening interview...

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:22 pm

Anonymous because everyone knows who I am and I don't want firms to think I'm a raging alcoholic...

What are your thoughts on taking a shot or a stiff drink to calm the OCI nerves? Anyone have experience doing this? I would imagine it would make for a more relaxed interview which would be a better interview. I can't be the only one to toy with this idea...

bouakedojo

Bronze

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Post by bouakedojo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:23 pm

Last edited by bouakedojo on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:27 pm

bouakedojo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anonymous because everyone knows who I am and I don't want firms to think I'm a raging alcoholic...

What are your thoughts on taking a shot or a stiff drink to calm the OCI nerves? Anyone have experience doing this? I would imagine it would make for a more relaxed interview which would be a better interview. I can't be the only one to toy with this idea...
Seems like it would come across as unprofessional.
It wouldn't "come across" as anything because you wouldn't actually let your interviewer know.

I say do it if you need to. Make sure you chew gum or something afterwards though.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:29 pm

I've never done anything after drinking and actually performed at a higher level, except being an asshole.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:30 pm

Yeah, but then you have to time it just right, and make sure to drink just enough to cool the nerves but not too much to make you drunk, and then worry about your breath, piss test.....I don't know.

Consider weed?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flightcontrol

New

Post by flightcontrol » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:31 pm

This is an irredeemably bad idea. Chances are no one will realize it, but if are you are caught, you become the "did you hear . . ." story of the entire week. Recruiters and lawyers know each other, and that's the kind of story that gets around. The benefit is marginal; the downside is massive. Don't do it.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:32 pm

Fine as long as you are 100% certain you a) will not become perceptibly drunk and b) will not smell like booze. Personally it wouldn't be worth the risk, if only because I'd be too worried they could tell I'd been drinking for it to have any sort of relaxing effect, but YMMV.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:34 pm

The interviewer is probably going to be bored and could use a drink as well. Why not just show up with a flask and offer him/her a drink too?

emorystud2010

Bronze

Post by emorystud2010 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Last edited by emorystud2010 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:40 pm

I say do it if you have to, but you should learn a better way to deal with anxiety. Screeners are on the low end of the anxiety you'll have to deal with in practice. Unfortunately, we don't live in the 1950s where the occastional Don Drapper special is acceptable in the office.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:44 pm

Nogameisfair wrote:I say do it if you have to, but you should learn a better way to deal with anxiety. Screeners are on the low end of the anxiety you'll have to deal with in practice. Unfortunately, we don't live in the 1950s where the occastional Don Drapper special is acceptable in the office.
It's too bad because I could really use a drink at the 11am meetings, 1pm lunch, double-shot at 3pm, and then one for the road at 5pm. :P

warumnicht

New

Post by warumnicht » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:48 pm

Nogameisfair wrote:I say do it if you have to, but you should learn a better way to deal with anxiety. Screeners are on the low end of the anxiety you'll have to deal with in practice. Unfortunately, we don't live in the 1950s where the occastional Don Drapper special is acceptable in the office.
This. You may be able to get away with it in this situation (this requires knowing exactly how you react to one drink...and lots of mouthwash after), but what are you going to do at callbacks? Client meetings? Trial?

Try something like breathing exercises, mantras, whatever. Or, if you think that your anxiety is too severe for that, consult a doctor about anti-anxiety meds.
Last edited by warumnicht on Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:48 pm

kapital98 wrote:
It's too bad because I could really use a drink at the 11am meetings, 1pm lunch, double-shot at 3pm, and then one for the road at 5pm. :P
I also wouldn't mind the occasional tryst with a secretary now and then... but they call this progress.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Why don't you just take a beta-blocker instead? Seems like a more effective and less risky method of calming nerves.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:55 pm

I have never drank prior to an interview, but, honestly, I have gone immediately to home or a bar and downed a scotch or ten. That made the inevitable seeming rejection a lot easier to stomach.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:57 pm

artichoke wrote:Why don't you just take a beta-blocker instead? Seems like a more effective and less risky method of calming nerves.
These are generally harder to get than xanex or similar anti-anxiety meds.

I hear they can help with migraines though, and if your blood pressure is going up from your constant anxiety or stress, than these are very worth asking your physician about.... they'll take care of stress and your hypertension at the same time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:59 pm

Xanax maybe?? J/k. (Makes me think of the Seinfeld where Elaine takes the muscle relaxers...STELLA!!!)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:01 pm

LOL @ getting drunk off of one shot.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:01 pm

Nogameisfair wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
I also wouldn't mind the occasional tryst with a secretary now and then... but they call this progress.
:D :D :D

I was going to say something about that but thought it would be sexist!

cahesu

New

Post by cahesu » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:02 pm

Credited answer is Hennigan's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgXAt_gstcs

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:04 pm

cahesu wrote:Credited answer is Hennigan's.

LOL nice. This is actually the first thing that came to mind when I read the original post.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:05 pm

cahesu wrote:Credited answer is Hennigan's.

Lol, I was wondering if someone was going to bring this up.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:05 pm

kapital98 wrote:
Nogameisfair wrote:
kapital98 wrote:

There are probably male secretaries, too. Do mail boys still exist?

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:06 pm

dailygrind wrote: There are probably male secretaries, too. Do mail boys still exist?
They do at my office.

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:09 pm

kapital98 wrote:
Nogameisfair wrote:
kapital98 wrote:

I would with the female laywers if they promised not to talk about law... That's not sexist right?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”