Using judge as clerkship reference Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Using judge as clerkship reference

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:08 pm

I held a judicial internship last year with a judge who has a personal policy of not writing recommendation letters (as stated in the intern manual; it wasn't just me). However, he said that he'd be more than willing to act as a reference at any time and that my work was more than excellent.

Now that I'm applying for clerkships, would it be appropriate to send him a quick email? At best, if I'm really lucky, I'm hoping that he might mention my name to one of his colleagues, but if that's too much to hope for, maybe he can give me valuable advice in general.

How would I go about drafting such an email? I don't want to appear too demanding, but at the same time, I would like to get something other than a mere "I'm glad your experience in my chambers inspired you to pursue a clerkship. Best of luck."

Anonymous User

Re: Using judge as clerkship reference

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I held a judicial internship last year with a judge who has a personal policy of not writing recommendation letters (as stated in the intern manual; it wasn't just me). However, he said that he'd be more than willing to act as a reference at any time and that my work was more than excellent.

Now that I'm applying for clerkships, would it be appropriate to send him a quick email? At best, if I'm really lucky, I'm hoping that he might mention my name to one of his colleagues, but if that's too much to hope for, maybe he can give me valuable advice in general.

How would I go about drafting such an email? I don't want to appear too demanding, but at the same time, I would like to get something other than a mere "I'm glad your experience in my chambers inspired you to pursue a clerkship. Best of luck."
You might want to check with one of the judge's current clerks for advice.

Or email the judge and ask if he'd be available to chat briefly sometime about clerking. (Explain that the internship in his chambers motivated you to pursue a clerkship, you'd appreciate his advice about the process, etc.)

Renzo

Gold

Re: Using judge as clerkship reference

Post by Renzo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:28 pm

Come straight out and ask the judge all of this. Tell him that you're applying for clerkships, and ask if he has insight or advice for you. Often judges will accept calls, but won't write letters, so you can ask if he would be willing to do so in your case.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”