Stone + Law Review...where should I bid? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Stone + Law Review...where should I bid?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:35 pm

Need advice urgently. The deadline at CLS to get the bid lists in is tommorow afternoon. I really haven't done my due dilegence and researched the process throughly. I'm hoping my high grades can bail me out.

FYI for any non-CLSers…..Stone is given to the top 30% at CLS……My GPA however is about 3.65 which I think is around top 10%. I also found out that I made Law Review last week.

What firms should I bid on?

Don’t care about litigation or corporate. Just want to be at the firm where I can have the best exit options to either do in-house work or high level government.

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Stone + Law Review...where should I bid?

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:46 pm

Do you have any idea how obnoxious of a post this is? You not only didn't do any research, but you didn't even mention a single kind of firm or geographic preference.

If you want to work in NYC, fire up a copy of Vault, and bid on every firm from #1 to #50 or so that has 'NYC' as its HQ. Then add the NYC offices of firms in the top 20 or so that have headquarters in places like DC, Chicago, or California.

Also I hate you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:58 pm

Not the OP, but similarly situated.

How much does bid ordering matter for someone in OP's position? Should he just rank firms purely based on preferences, or would it still make sense to spend the highest bids on less-selective firms that get lots of bids?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not the OP, but similarly situated.

How much does bid ordering matter for someone in OP's position? Should he just rank firms purely based on preferences, or would it still make sense to spend the highest bids on less-selective firms that get lots of bids?
Probably smarter to bid on preference, but attempt to avoid putting any firm that NEVER fills its interview schedule in your top 5 or 10 or so.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Need advice urgently. The deadline at CLS to get the bid lists in is tommorow afternoon. I really haven't done my due dilegence and researched the process throughly. I'm hoping my high grades can bail me out.

FYI for any non-CLSers…..Stone is given to the top 30% at CLS……My GPA however is about 3.65 which I think is around top 10%. I also found out that I made Law Review last week.

Don’t care about litigation or corporate. Just want to be at the firm where I can have the best exit options to either do in-house work or high level government.
Bid the V20. Split remaining bids between Irell, Munger, Susman and add some DC firms if you want to do government. Enjoy your V5 job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:22 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Need advice urgently. The deadline at CLS to get the bid lists in is tommorow afternoon. I really haven't done my due dilegence and researched the process throughly. I'm hoping my high grades can bail me out.

Bid the V20. Split remaining bids between Irell, Munger, Susman and add some DC firms if you want to do government. Enjoy your V5 job.
OP here: how should I order my bids?

should I go straight down the Vault rankings or make Davis Polk/Clearly #1 since they seem to be popular in terms of bids?

thanks

viking138

Bronze

Post by viking138 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote: OP here: how should I order my bids?

should I go straight down the Vault rankings or make Davis Polk/Clearly #1 since they seem to be popular in terms of bids?

thanks
The obnoxious OP and your egregious typos make me think this is liLtuneChi. Anyway, don't bid "Clearly" or Davis Polk #1 since they have close to a 1:1 bid to interview ratio. If you really like them, put them in the top 15, but make your top 5 smaller firms with fewer schedules that you're really interested in. For example, if you're really interested in litigation, you might put Susman as your number one.

Edited to add: If you really care about exit options, a firm like Wachtell is a "golden ticket." Although I know similar firms looked down on anything lower than a 3.7 last year, so good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”