Corporate in Chicago? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Corporate in Chicago?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:11 pm

In top 10% with LR at a T14. Interested in hearing what my best options are for corporate in Chicago. My current top firms in no real order are:

Kirkland
Skadden
Sidley
Latham
Mayer
Winston
Katten Muchin

I will clearly need more firms, but I'm not sure what other firms to consider. Definitely concerned about general instability at several of the Chicago firms, including a few on my list. Will also be using some bids on another market.

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Corporate in Chicago?

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:46 pm

The market has kind of been cornered, as far as I know your list is pretty damn comprehensive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:48 pm

Get rid of Katten and put in McDermott. That being said, you really really don't want to end up at McDermott (Unless you want to do tax or t&e).

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:52 pm

Kirkland
Latham
---
Cravath
S&C
Davis Polk
Simpson Thacher
Cleary
Skadden NY

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:53 pm

rayiner wrote:Kirkland
Latham
---
Cravath
S&C
Davis Polk
Simpson Thacher
Cleary
Skadden NY
Yeah, that's pretty much a more blunt way of putting what I was trying to convey...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Get rid of Katten and put in McDermott. That being said, you really really don't want to end up at McDermott (Unless you want to do tax or t&e).
Is katten's corporate that bad or the firm in general?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:06 am

Latham
---
Cravath
S&C
Davis Polk
Simpson Thacher
Cleary
Skadden NY

Latham??? I'd take Kirkland, Sidley, Skadden, Mayer, and Winston above Latham if we are talking about a full service corp practice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:07 am

barry wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Get rid of Katten and put in McDermott. That being said, you really really don't want to end up at McDermott (Unless you want to do tax or t&e).
Is katten's corporate that bad or the firm in general?

It's not necessarily that bad, it's just not noteworthy. Not much different than Jenner, SNR, Baker, etc for corporate. Katten in general is a mess (but so is MWE).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:07 am

Latham
---
Cravath
S&C
Davis Polk
Simpson Thacher
Cleary
Skadden NY
OP here. So Kirkland and Latham are the only legit corporate options in Chicago? Any particular reason to avoid Sidley?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Latham
---
Cravath
S&C
Davis Polk
Simpson Thacher
Cleary
Skadden NY
OP here. So Kirkland and Latham are the only legit corporate options in Chicago? Any particular reason to avoid Sidley?
This is ridiculous post by Rayiner. There are 5 firms I'd take before them in Chi. Do you know what you are interested within corp?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Latham
---
Cravath
S&C
Davis Polk
Simpson Thacher
Cleary
Skadden NY
This is ridiculous post by Rayiner. There are 5 firms I'd take before them in Chi. Do you know what you are interested within corp?
Not set on anything, possibly M&A.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Latham
---
Cravath
S&C
Davis Polk
Simpson Thacher
Cleary
Skadden NY
There are not five firms in Chicago with a healthy corporate practice. There are not three firms in Chicago with a healthy corporate practice.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:23 am

rayiner wrote:There are not five firms in Chicago with a healthy corporate practice. There are not three firms in Chicago with a healthy corporate practice.
Since this thread is probably gonna stall anyway, I don't feel too bad slightly derailing: what would you say are the three firms in Chicago with healthy litigation practices. And by healthy, I mean worth considering in contention with the top 20 NY firms or so.
Last edited by Bronte on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:24 am

rayiner wrote:
There are not five firms in Chicago with a healthy corporate practice. There are not three firms in Chicago with a healthy corporate practice.

Latham certainly isn't one of them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:

If I had been interested in Lit, my preferences would have been: Kirkland, Jenner, Sidley, Winston, Mayer

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:

I was giving Latham the benefit of the doubt, since the firm seems to be busy across the board. Then let's just say there is only one healthy corporate practice in Chicago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:31 am

"Corporate" encompasses a lot of stuff, much of which falls outside of the general corporate practice group umbrella. For example, if you want to do banking, IP transactional, or insurance/financial services transactional, Sidley arguably has the best practice in the city. If you want to do real estate, on the other hand, dla piper is much better.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Latham
---
Cravath
S&C
Davis Polk
Simpson Thacher
Cleary
Skadden NY

Latham??? I'd take Kirkland, Sidley, Skadden, Mayer, and Winston above Latham if we are talking about a full service corp practice.
The firms ranked Band 1 for Chicago in Corporate M&A are: Kirkland, Sidley, Skadden, and Latham. Kirkland is obviously better. Sidley isn't doing so hot (epic deferrals even compared to other firms that deferred) and rumor is that Skadden Chicago is extremely slow and not getting better.

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Post by seriouslyinformative » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:34 pm

In my opinion, if one wants to do corporate in Chicago, go to Kirkland. If you can't get Kirkland, then go to pretty much any V10 in NYC (Debevoise and Paul Weiss included). Bite the bullet. Job security is way too tenuous at any other firm in Chicago.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”