LOR from Prof. explaining bad 1L grades? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

LOR from Prof. explaining bad 1L grades?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

I'm in the process of my 3L mass mailing campaign. I ended my 1L year just below median on account of two very bad grades (without those two grades, I would have been around top 1/3rd). My 2L year went much, much better--I was easily top 10% for the year.

The other day I decided to email one of the 1L professors I got a bad grade from, just to make sure my grade wasn't an error or anything (something I should have done right away, not a year later). The professor emailed me back and the grade seems to be correct; I just did really bad.

I had this same professor for a 2L seminar, in which I got an A. In the email about my 1L grade, the professor also mentioned that my seminar paper was one of the best in the class and offered to write a LOR to help put my 1L grade in perspective and to convey how well I did in the 2L class.

In a follow-up email, the professor explained that including such a letter in my firm apps might be wise. I'm inclined to agree, for two reasons:
  • Unlike a grade addendum for LS apps, I wouldn't be writing this letter, a professor would. Seems like it wouldn't come across as whiny/defensive/etc. if I wasn't writing it.
  • I think it could be a good letter. The professor offered to write it unsolicited. I really like this professor, we've had some good conversations at office hours (also, recently we both listened to another professor give a talk which contradicted the thesis of my seminar paper...my professor saw me afterward and said I should have brought my contradictory arguments/findings), so I think the feeling is mutual.
Of course, this letter could backfire by drawing too much attention to my couple bad 1L grades, or for some other reason I'm not foreseeing. I'd welcome the community's thoughts...

(tl;dr: is it a good idea to include, in 3L mass mailing extravaganza, a LOR from a prof explaining a bad grade?)

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Re: LOR from Prof. explaining bad 1L grades?

Post by Bronx Bum » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:37 pm

Mass mailing who? Government agencies?

If you're mass mailing small firms (under 50 attorneys) LOL if you think they'll give a fuck or even read your letter. Most would probably throw it out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:Mass mailing who?
Larger firms.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:this letter could backfire by drawing too much attention to [your] couple bad 1L grades

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:16 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:17 pm

this is an excellent idea. i'm sure the employers will care.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:28 am

As a 3L who mass mailed around 400 law firms already without a single reply of interest, I strongly urge you not to waste your time mass mailing. Top ten School Top 15% for stats

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”