Quick Bidding Question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thescienceguy

New

Quick Bidding Question

Post by thescienceguy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:11 am

Last edited by thescienceguy on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Quick Bidding Question

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:48 am

It's good to put effort into the process, but it is completely impervious to fine grain decisions like this. In a world where we had all information you could actually answer this question, but we're at least a few orders of magnitude away from that world. Good on you for realizing the impact class size can have as well as traditional selectivity, but as for which to actually rank higher or lower there are 8 billion other variables that mean there's no good answer, especially when class sizes are that close. When you start talking about a firm with 30 summers vs. one with 4 you start to be in the realm of making informed decisions, but this question is simply too fine.

hds2388

Bronze

Post by hds2388 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:53 am

thesealocust wrote:It's good to put effort into the process, but it is completely impervious to fine grain decisions like this. In a world where we had all information you could actually answer this question, but we're at least a few orders of magnitude away from that world. Good on you for realizing the impact class size can have as well as traditional selectivity, but as for which to actually rank higher or lower there are 8 billion other variables that mean there's no good answer, especially when class sizes are that close. When you start talking about a firm with 30 summers vs. one with 4 you start to be in the realm of making informed decisions, but this question is simply too fine.
A lawyerly answer indeed.

thescienceguy

New

Post by thescienceguy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:02 am

hds2388 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:It's good to put effort into the process, but it is completely impervious to fine grain decisions like this. In a world where we had all information you could actually answer this question, but we're at least a few orders of magnitude away from that world. Good on you for realizing the impact class size can have as well as traditional selectivity, but as for which to actually rank higher or lower there are 8 billion other variables that mean there's no good answer, especially when class sizes are that close. When you start talking about a firm with 30 summers vs. one with 4 you start to be in the realm of making informed decisions, but this question is simply too fine.

Indeed. Thanks for the response! I've actually only been making my bid list based solely on GPA selectivity & class size & location, because I don't really know what other factors to consider. That's why it's come down to minute details such as the one mentioned above.

ClarDarr

Bronze

Post by ClarDarr » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:06 am

thescienceguy wrote:
hds2388 wrote:

Indeed. Thanks for the response! I've actually only been making my bid list based solely on GPA selectivity & class size & location, because I don't really know what other factors to consider. That's why it's come down to minute details such as the one mentioned above.
Not that my bid list is in any better shape, but I wouldnt worry too much about it. Read a little about the firms and their business and make the distinction based on that. This is why you get more than one bid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”