. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
s1m4

Bronze

Post by s1m4 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:47 pm

Last edited by s1m4 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek

Gold

Re: Working in Russia after law school

Post by Danteshek » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:43 pm

There are opportunities, but I doubt you will be able to find anything before you actually move to Russia and start looking for work there. If you really want to move to Russia, you will move to Russia. There are never any guarantees, but your only chance of finding a job there is if you move there.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:55 pm

If you think the U.S. is connections based....Russia is EXTREMELY so. So get your family and such on it to help you.

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:09 pm

step one: family with money and connection to pay for your job (if in government)
step two: make and keep connections.

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:17 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:step one: family with money and connection to pay for your job (if in government)
step two: make and keep connections.
step three: get on Putin's bad side and end up being a puta bed-side . . . in jail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:30 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Magnitsky

http://russian-untouchables.com/eng/201 ... nightmare/

Anyone else remember this? As bad as real democracies can be, pseudo-democracies are way worse.

edit: the tldnr version: tax lawyer unravels massive criminal activities by the state and is kept in jail without trial until he dies a few days before he's meant to be released (just under a year). of course human rights lawyers are even more used to this kind of shit.

edit: forgot about how he died (watching the zakaria interview again). In prison (which really is not a very nice time in russia), the prison doctors told him he had pancreatitis and some other stuff for which he needed a simple surgery so he wouldn't die. He was refused the surgery and he died.

also, in case you would think that President Medvedev would make sure that at least one person was at least made into a scapegoat, you'd be wrong.

in summary, unless you are a russian wanting to go back home as a human rights lawyer because you love your country, why would you want to work there? (unless you have an in and can make shit tons of money through corruption)
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:40 pm

In America, you break law.
In Soviet Russia, law break you!

-Yakov Smirnoff

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:33 am

shoeshine wrote:In America, you break law.

-Yakov Smirnoff
SOOOO true--- I have family....and my uncle pays the gov. money to keep his son a prosecutor b/c the government gets sooo much money under the table.

it is about 100,000 to the government to win a trial against you. Plus 100,000 for every appeal....and that is in dollars.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:25 am

crossingforHYS wrote:

-Yakov Smirnoff
SOOOO true--- I have family....and my uncle pays the gov. money to keep his son a prosecutor b/c the government gets sooo much money under the table.

it is about 100,000 to the government to win a trial against you. Plus 100,000 for every appeal....and that is in dollars.
This is very off topic, but just the talk of corruption reminds me of "The White Tiger." I'm only on chapter 4, but it's already one of my favorite books ever. It's very dark humor, and the people in the book (set in India) seem to admire the corruption of those who are supposed to be helping them. They kind of view it as being entrepreneurial. Really funny shit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:30 am

will check it out for sure.
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:

-Yakov Smirnoff

This is very off topic, but just the talk of corruption reminds me of "The White Tiger." I'm only on chapter 4, but it's already one of my favorite books ever. It's very dark humor, and the people in the book (set in India) seem to admire the corruption of those who are supposed to be helping them. They kind of view it as being entrepreneurial. Really funny shit.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:59 am

Debevoise

s1m4

Bronze

Post by s1m4 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:46 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Magnitsky

Anyone else remember this? As bad as real democracies can be, pseudo-democracies are way worse.

edit: the tldnr version: tax lawyer unravels massive criminal activities by the state and is kept in jail without trial until he dies a few days before he's meant to be released (just under a year). of course human rights lawyers are even more used to this kind of shit.

edit: forgot about how he died (watching the zakaria interview again). In prison (which really is not a very nice time in russia), the prison doctors told him he had pancreatitis and some other stuff for which he needed a simple surgery so he wouldn't die. He was refused the surgery and he died.

also, in case you would think that President Medvedev would make sure that at least one person was at least made into a scapegoat, you'd be wrong.

in summary, unless you are a russian wanting to go back home as a human rights lawyer because you love your country, why would you want to work there? (unless you have an in and can make shit tons of money through corruption)
It is not so much my goal to work in Russia, as much as simply to live in Russia, with the option of returning to live/work in the USA. And not simply Russia, but specifically Moscow or St. Petersburg. I am not interested in moving anywhere else besides these cities. So finding a law firm there would be a means to an end. As for the corruption, yes, there are numerous stories like the ones you mentioned, but there is a lot to any country outside of politics, including personal attachments, which can outweigh many of the negatives. You should vacation there)

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:43 pm

s1m4 wrote: It is not so much my goal to work in Russia, as much as simply to live in Russia, with the option of returning to live/work in the USA. And not simply Russia, but specifically Moscow or St. Petersburg. I am not interested in moving anywhere else besides these cities. So finding a law firm there would be a means to an end. As for the corruption, yes, there are numerous stories like the ones you mentioned, but there is a lot to any country outside of politics, including personal attachments, which can outweigh many of the negatives. You should vacation there)
I guess if you actually want to live by your family, though personally I can't wait to live far away enough that I'll only have to see them a few times a year.

You don't really care about actually working in Russia? I assume someone else will be paying your bills?

Of course there is more to a county than politics, but who the fuck cares about any of that shit?

Also, big difference between vacationing and living.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

s1m4

Bronze

Post by s1m4 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:34 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
s1m4 wrote: It is not so much my goal to work in Russia, as much as simply to live in Russia, with the option of returning to live/work in the USA. And not simply Russia, but specifically Moscow or St. Petersburg. I am not interested in moving anywhere else besides these cities. So finding a law firm there would be a means to an end. As for the corruption, yes, there are numerous stories like the ones you mentioned, but there is a lot to any country outside of politics, including personal attachments, which can outweigh many of the negatives. You should vacation there)
I guess if you actually want to live by your family, though personally I can't wait to live far away enough that I'll only have to see them a few times a year.

You don't really care about actually working in Russia? I assume someone else will be paying your bills?

Of course there is more to a county than politics, but who the fuck cares about any of that shit?

The whole point of my post is finding good job to pay for my own bills :-/

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:40 pm

s1m4 wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:

s1m4

Bronze

Post by s1m4 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:25 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
s1m4 wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:

I would love to live there, but I would need to support myself completely. I also do not want to sever ties with the US and would like to leave the option of moving back open. I want to work as a lawyer. I would not be able to ever work as a lawyer in the US with a Russian law degree. I would like to have the option of working in Russia or America. = American J.D.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:37 pm

s1m4 wrote: I would love to live there, but I would need to support myself completely. I also do not want to sever ties with the US and would like to leave the option of moving back open. I want to work as a lawyer. I would not be able to ever work as a lawyer in the US with a Russian law degree. I would like to have the option of working in Russia or America. = American J.D.
You are very confusing you know.

Why is underlined a problem? Didn't you say you're going to a t30 US law school?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

s1m4

Bronze

Post by s1m4 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:41 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
s1m4 wrote: I would love to live there, but I would need to support myself completely. I also do not want to sever ties with the US and would like to leave the option of moving back open. I want to work as a lawyer. I would not be able to ever work as a lawyer in the US with a Russian law degree. I would like to have the option of working in Russia or America. = American J.D.

Why is underlined a problem? Didn't you say you're going to a t30 US law school?
If I could get a good job in the US with a Russian law degree, I would attend law school in Russia.

bleh

New

Post by bleh » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:35 pm

s1m4 wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:

If I could get a good job in the US with a Russian law degree, I would attend law school in Russia.

ummm are you actually sane? work in Russia?

bleh

New

Post by bleh » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:45 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Magnitsky

good links. Thanks for sharing

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”