DLA Piper Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DLA Piper

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:41 pm

grade cutoffs/class rank required for this firm?
from t-14?
from tier 1?
from TTT?

bjsesq

Diamond

Re: DLA Piper

Post by bjsesq » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:43 pm

at NU they have recently shown a willingness to go median or just below it. Also relevant: they don't seem to be hungry for a lot of SA's right now.

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:20 am

Reviving this thread because I'm trying for an informational interview with these guys. Can anyone tell me what their rank cutoff is for T30 candidates? (I'm looking for rank, not grades). Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:12 am

Don't worry too much about grade/rank cutoffs if you're above median -- they seem to care just as much about fit as about class standing. At my office (one of the biggest ones), I think they've been trying for a laid-back, genial vibe where people aren't gunners and don't put on airs. I genuinely like my fellow SAs, the associates have been great, and even most of the partners are surprisingly unpretentious. If you like that kind of atmosphere, apply even if you're below their stated cutoffs. (YMMV, of course, depending on the office.)

It's true that their class sizes are very small for a firm that big.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Don't worry too much about grade/rank cutoffs if you're above median -- they seem to care just as much about fit as about class standing. At my office (one of the biggest ones), I think they've been trying for a laid-back, genial vibe where people aren't gunners and don't put on airs. I genuinely like my fellow SAs, the associates have been great, and even most of the partners are surprisingly unpretentious. If you like that kind of atmosphere, apply even if you're below their stated cutoffs. (YMMV, of course, depending on the office.)

Hey Anon, Any way you'd be willing to PM me as I have some questions about DLA? Much appreciated

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:42 am

kwais wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't worry too much about grade/rank cutoffs if you're above median -- they seem to care just as much about fit as about class standing. At my office (one of the biggest ones), I think they've been trying for a laid-back, genial vibe where people aren't gunners and don't put on airs. I genuinely like my fellow SAs, the associates have been great, and even most of the partners are surprisingly unpretentious. If you like that kind of atmosphere, apply even if you're below their stated cutoffs. (YMMV, of course, depending on the office.)

Hey Anon, Any way you'd be willing to PM me as I have some questions about DLA? Much appreciated
Sure, I'd be happy to answer questions -- just post 'em here and I'll PM the answers if they would out me (as I said, it's a small class). And if a question should arise as to whether I enjoy DLA, the answer would be yes.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:49 am

Do you enjoy dla piper?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:13 am

Did you have any qualms about choosing DLA? Some say its a behemoth, but I'm not sure how that translates into daily life. If you did callbacks with other firms, how did it compare? Why did you choose it? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:42 am

kwais wrote:Did you have any qualms about choosing DLA? Some say its a behemoth, but I'm not sure how that translates into daily life. If you did callbacks with other firms, how did it compare? Why did you choose it? Thanks.
No real qualms. I chose them over one other firm offer. When I did my CB, I really liked the people I met. They were down-to-earth but not dull, busy but not overly stressed, witty about life but serious about work. Most of all, everyone seemed to be very happy to be working there.

Other positives: They're serious about using pro bono as a way for young associates to learn the ropes and transition to leadership roles on bigger cases, they've got a 100% offer rate, they have a lot of great SA social events, and they pay more than their competitors in my market. Many of the partners here are home-grown. The sheer size of the firm is actually a plus because people here have the ability to work almost anywhere in the world on deals or anywhere in the country on litigation. There's a ton of inter-office collaboration.

My summer experience has confirmed much of what I was expecting after my CB. It's really tough to think of a downside about being here. (Then again, I outperformed my stats at OCI, so I feel lucky to be at a big firm at all.) The only type of person I can think of who wouldn't enjoy DLA would be obnoxious gunners.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
kwais wrote:Did you have any qualms about choosing DLA? Some say its a behemoth, but I'm not sure how that translates into daily life. If you did callbacks with other firms, how did it compare? Why did you choose it? Thanks.
No real qualms. I chose them over one other firm offer. When I did my CB, I really liked the people I met. They were down-to-earth but not dull, busy but not overly stressed, witty about life but serious about work. Most of all, everyone seemed to be very happy to be working there.

Other positives: They're serious about using pro bono as a way for young associates to learn the ropes and transition to leadership roles on bigger cases, they've got a 100% offer rate, they have a lot of great SA social events, and they pay more than their competitors in my market. Many of the partners here are home-grown. The sheer size of the firm is actually a plus because people here have the ability to work almost anywhere in the world on deals or anywhere in the country on litigation. There's a ton of inter-office collaboration.

My summer experience has confirmed much of what I was expecting after my CB. It's really tough to think of a downside about being here. (Then again, I outperformed my stats at OCI, so I feel lucky to be at a big firm at all.) The only type of person I can think of who wouldn't enjoy DLA would be obnoxious gunners.
Thanks. Last question. Do you have any insight into whether theses positives are present in NYC? (It sounds like you are not in NYC)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:

re: outperforming your stats. Is it even worth me bidding on DLA when I am below median at MVP? (3.05 where the median is ~3.19). Thanks!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:02 am

rad lulz wrote:Do you enjoy DLA Piper?

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:07 am

Ran here to poast this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:And if a question should arise as to whether I enjoy DLA, the answer would be yes.
Big Shrimpin wrote:
Ran here to poast this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:28 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Ran here to poast this.
Asked, answered, and enjoyed.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:
Ran here to poast this.
Asked, answered, and enjoyed.
:lol:

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks Anon, this is partly why I'm interested in them too: this kind of firm culture, which other people have told me about. But if the class size is as small as you say it is (relative to the size of the firm I mean), I'm surprised that your rank doesn't appear to matter as much. Are you from a T14 school? (Would that answer out you? Just asking because class rank might not matter if you're from Duke, but I come from the T30 range of schools).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

re: outperforming your stats. Is it even worth me bidding on DLA when I am below median at MVP? (3.05 where the median is ~3.19). Thanks!
I know someone from my school who was a little below median and didn't get a screener, so maybe median is their cutoff. But I'd say it's worth a bid, as my school is ranked a little under MVP. If you shine in the interview, grades don't seem to matter as much. Why not give it a try?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:39 am

kwais wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks. Last question. Do you have any insight into whether theses positives are present in NYC? (It sounds like you are not in NYC)
Not in NYC, and I've met only a couple of NYC people, so I don't know. If you interview there, I'd be curious to hear your reaction.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:30 am

Top third at Vandy, strong ATL ties, did not get a DLA ATL screener. As such, I was not able to enjoy dla piper.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top third at Vandy, strong ATL ties, did not get a DLA ATL screener. As such, I was not able to enjoy DLA Piper.
Would top 20% at Vandy be likely to grab a screener and maybe a CB for DLA ATL? Or do they generally look higher in the class?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top third at Vandy, strong ATL ties, did not get a DLA ATL screener. As such, I was not able to enjoy DLA Piper.
Would top 20% at Vandy be likely to grab a screener and maybe a CB for DLA ATL? Or do they generally look higher in the class?
probably sufficient for a callback, but can't say for sure who got the offers. me: right outside top 1/3 at a Vandy-peer, ATL ties, got a callback, no offer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”